L.C.D replacement digital clock

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
C 20 CCO
fill in the right answer: 15

L.C.D replacement digital clock

Post by C 20 CCO »

hi all, currently my ride is sorn for the winter.... Not to mention the dashboard and all that hides within has been disassembled.

I had electrical gremlins I.e the horn wouldn't turn off when the engine was running. M.O.T failure I'm sure. Plus some scroat had hotwired it in the distant past, so the wires are scotch locked. And the L.C.D digital clock has bled; so I thought it was time to do something about it.
Luckily last year I bagged a new old stock wiring loom for ignition and all the dash switches from ebay for £35. 2nd hand looms were going for twice as much, so buying this was a no brainer.

I've contacted a company who manufacture L.C.D displays for VW T3's because I think they are the same dimensions as what is in the MK2 Rocco's. They are sending me a freebee to see if it works. Normally £19.99 but may run a batch at a reduced rate if there is enough interest for others to buy. Thought I'd run this by you as I don't normally do this kind of thing. But thought if the opportunity presented itself....
I need a couple of weeks to get my wiring back in working order before I can test the L.C.D. Will keep you posted and if it works I can find out if anyone is interested in one.

I'll post in the for sale section if this is the correct way to go.
Cheers :beers:

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
unknownmale

Re: L.C.D replacement digital clock

Post by unknownmale »

- David
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

useful website
will this fit non mfa clocks? the 2 are different so will this only fit one type?
i need the non MFA type

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Mark H

Post by Mark H »

James, the video guide shows a LCD Clock only being fitted to the T3 dash.

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

nice!
yeah i would be up for a couple :good:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

james butler wrote:nice!
yeah i would be up for a couple :good:
You can buy them from the go westy site above

- David
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Hiya,

I fitted the clock in place last night and it fits a treat, I just need to finish wiring the dash so I can test it. Hopefully I can get this finished at the end of this weekend and then I can give you some feedback. The LCD clocks from the westy site work out around £24.44, the company I found are selling £19.99, but they advised it could be cheaper if more were ordered. I'll be ordering another LCD part as a spare if all goes ok.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Dave
If it works, may be ask if they would do a group buy?

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Hi mark, the new LCD clock works a treat. I don't have the MFA computer just the bog standard clock. I could enquire with the manufacturer if the clocks are MFA compatible. I'll email them tomorrow.

The possibility of a group buy has been talked about with the manufacturer, and being a newby here was unsure if this had been spoken about within your club at anytime.

I've looked on ebay and found some for £30, obviously more expensive. I have unsuccessfully bid for 2nd hand binnacles.... But they are old parts at the end of the day. I think buying new is the way to go at the right price. My LCD display deteriorated in a short space of time and being 27 years old.........

Do you think I should post in the for sale section and see how many members want one? Could do with numbers to give the manufacturer so we can negotiate a price.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Dave, great news. I would check with Admin first (maybe Sean, Heath etc). Think the numbers would be good, post a "How to guide" on Retrofitting them.
Good luck, I actually need one.

Mark

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

I'd be interested if there's a group buy :)

1990 mk2 GT2
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Hi All,

I'm going to look into the idea on sliding scale discounts- and of course may touch base with the mk1/2 golf groups too??

I've been advised that because we’re fairly well spread out and relatively small the issue of single or multiple delivery addresses may impact their ability to discount any further. It looks like we could look into arranging for one bulk order to be received by one person and distribute at the National Meet, this works with the bonnet liner kits Joost produces in NL.

The company I found is: Brickwerks, units 9 and 10 Bridge works, Woodhead Road, Honley, Holmfirth, HD9 6PW.
There is no phone number or at least when I rang it wasn't recognised, but, you can contact via email.

I paid £19.99 for mine and if you consider how long my previous unit lasted.... 26 years.... I didn't think it was too bad.
I'm trying to balance this with sorting out my electrical woes but will keep in touch.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......

sciroccnoob

Post by sciroccnoob »

I am interested in one of these if there has been any updates