Mpg light turns on intermittently

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Oyo
fill in the right answer: 15

Mpg light turns on intermittently

Post by Oyo »

Hey guys- my mpg light is turning on after a year of driving my Rocco - 1984

It's a bit of a distraction and I can't suss out what it is trying to tell me

It occurs at random, whike in different gears - pressing on or off the gas and various revs ..

Any suggestions ?

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mpg light turns on intermittently

Post by mark1gls »

The light is telling you to change gear. Have you tried changing gear to see if it goes off?

I’ve got a couple of strange electrical problems which sometimes seems to fix themselves and work for a couple of months then stop working again, perhaps you have this sort of fix/problem?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Oyo
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Oyo »

mark1gls wrote:The light is telling you to change gear. Have you tried changing gear to see if it goes off?

I’ve got a couple of strange electrical problems which sometimes seems to fix themselves and work for a couple of months then stop working again, perhaps you have this sort of fix/problem?

Thanks .. I am driving it as I have for the past year - I am up and down the gears all the time - as mentioned changing the gears doesn't stop it, nor does taking the foot off the gas etc.

guess it's another of those bizarre electrical nuances that reawaken after 33 years - sounds just like you mention- reckon it will go just like it arrived ! :)

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

It shouldn't ever light up in 5th. It's controlled by the vacuum system, I think, so worth checking the condition of all the vacuum hoses.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX