distributor

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

distributor

Post by james butler »

ive been wondering
i changed the dizzy in my car a couple of years back with a spare from a dx engine car, mines an ex carbed version.
so what do i time the ignition too?
its currently set at 18 degrees BTDC and runs great but.......
carbed cars are supposed to be 18 degrees BTDC and injection is 6 i think?
so which am i supposed to be using and what determines it? is it a cam thing or something else thats the reason why they are different?

regards

james

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Re: distributor

Post by mark1gls »

I’ve never bothered with a timing gun, I advance mine till it “pinks” under load the retard it a little till it stops.
As long as it’s running well and not “pinking” I would not worry about what the book says, you can advance it a little over factory setting to give it a little bit more go.
I guess it might change slightly depending on the quality of the petrol? In my DX golf I use petrol from 97 to 99 RON depending on where I go....

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

mark1gls wrote:I’ve never bothered with a timing gun, I advance mine till it “pinks” under load the retard it a little till it stops.
thats all well and good and i know it works but why the large gap betwen 18 and 6 degrees?
its not even close, so surely something must be different between the 2 types?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by unknownmale »

I know Ex and Dx dizzys have different part numbers but i run dizzy of a DX on my EX engine with no issue. I only run Vpower but not sure what timing it's at as I also do what Mark does above.

If ever I run regular unleaded I have to advance the timing slightly or the car diesels when I shut it off.

I'm not sure about the timing difference, but assume it's because the carbed cars are pulling in the AF mixture at the same time the mixture can be ignited earlier where as the MFI cars inject the fuel closer to ignition?

- David