VMk2 DO Gauge Question

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MikeS0000
fill in the right answer: 15

VMk2 DO Gauge Question

Post by MikeS0000 »

Hi Folks -

I have this German Market Mk2 Scirocco that the owner took 'round the world and wound up leaving in Upstate New York. At some point the car was broken into and the radio and gauge above the radio and next to the ashtray was stolen.

Right now, working on the gauge. Radio later. The gauge trim was also broken out, but luckily I've found replacement trim.

My question is, how do I know what gauge was there?Apparently the two common ones were temp and voltage. But I'm not sure which one to look for.

Any help appreciated!

Best regards,
- Mike

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: VMk2 DO Gauge Question

Post by mark1gls »

Do you have a MFA in the dash with the oil temperature display?
If not I would go for an oil temperature gauge.

If you do have the MFA I would fit a voltage gauge.

Have a look on this site as it has some brochures and you might see what was fitted from new.

1986/87 cars have a oil temperature gauge, 1988 have a voltage gauge and later cars just seem to have a blanking plate fitted?
All depends on year and model car you have.

http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

Stick a multimeter on the wiring. Measure the voltage with engine on and off. If it's 12v and rises to 14 ish when you start it, then it was a volt meter

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Thanks Gentlemen! Great ideas. This seems, from what I translate on the German Paperwork, to be referred to as a 1985 Model, but was manufactured in 1988. But then Google translator isn't always precise. :-)

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

MikeS0000 wrote:Thanks Gentlemen! Great ideas. This seems, from what I translate on the German Paperwork, to be referred to as a 1985 Model, but was manufactured in 1988. But then Google translator isn't always precise. :-)
The VIN will tell you definitively when it was manufactured