Switched live, is the light switch meant to be illuminated, no handbrake light and what are these wires?

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
timmaaah
fill in the right answer: 15

Switched live, is the light switch meant to be illuminated, no handbrake light and what are these wires?

Post by timmaaah »

Hey there - new rocco owner, long term rado owner so used to fannying about lol.

A few questions - I would like an ignition switched live supply for the stereo and for a dashcam. Where is the best place to get one from? There's nothing at the stereo end, the only wire I have tested is one that goes live with the light.

Should the headlight switch be illuminated? On my rado the switch is lit up so you can see it in the dark - it doesn't appear to be on the rocco.

The handbrake warning light doesn't light up - the bulb is ok and all the fuses are good - ideas?

Last question - there are four wires that have been chopped off alongside the stereo wires. One is live with the lights as said - what are the other three for? Colours are Brown with red trace, White with blue trace, grey with blue trace and white with two yellow traces.

Sorry for all the questions!

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Switched live, is the light switch meant to be illuminated, no handbrake light and what are these wires?

Post by mark1gls »

There is some spade connectors on the back of the fuse box to get a switched live for radio etc, I'll try and find a guide on the fuse box, they are the same fuse boxes in Mk1 and some Mk2 Golfs.

Headlight light switch does have a bulb in it and should always be lite when the ignition is on day or night the problem is they are on all the time so the bulbs do blow quite often so most people don't bother keep changing them. If you pull the switch out you will see the bulb, just be carful with the wires on the headlight switch as VW has a poor design in headlight switches as all the current runs through the light switch then onto the head lights, relaying the head lights is a very good idea as common fault for the wires to burn out and relaying the headlight will add another couple of volts to the bulbs and make them brighter, plenty of kits and info on the web, I think Corrados have the same problem?

Hand brake switch, have you looked at the switch underneath the hand brake level, they are plastic and do wear out so might need a new switch or adjustment or perhaps some has just taken the wire off?
The hand brake light will also light up if the brake fuild level is low, you could try and remove the brake fuild cap and see if the light comes on and stays on when the ignition is on, if still no light it may be the bulb in the dash?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Switched live, is the light switch meant to be illuminated, no handbrake light and what are these wires?

Post by mark1gls »

Found the guide, bad spelling of fuse box!

If you have the blade type then I think you can get power from spade connectors P? check voltage with a volt meter to check what power is coming out and if it's switched before connecting anything just in case as electrics are not my thing.
:-D

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... g-layout_2

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
timmaaah

Post by timmaaah »

Thanks for the reply - with that info I've done some more digging:

Yes, I have the spade type at the extreme rear right of the fuse board as you look at it, so can a switched feed from that - many thanks for the link!

The handbrake light was a loose connection and now works when the handbrake is lifted - however, taking the reservoir cap off does nothing lol

I yanked the switch and yes, the bulb was blown. You are correct in saying the Corrado has the same issue of a permanent live running through the switch - a mod I did on my headlight switch was to wire in an in-line fuse to the earth as if it goes boobs up there is nothing to stop the earth cable frying itself. I would urge all Scirocco owners to do the same. It's a cheap and easy thing to do and may stop your car going up in flames! The Corrado also suffers the same voltage drop to the lights - I'll get my meter out again tomorrow and see if it's worth putting in a few relays for the lights/get a kit.

So yeah - all's good, I'd just like to know what those four wires are for now! Onwards and upwards - thanks for taking the time to reply mark1gls :-)

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

The wires you're talking about, I'd have to look at the manual to check wire and trace colours. But these sound like they could be ash tray light and gauge light wiring, also one for the gauge (Voltmeter, so just a switched live from the fuse box)

- David