Electrics won't turn on with ignition

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
crimmer96
fill in the right answer: 15

Electrics won't turn on with ignition

Post by crimmer96 »

Hi all, recently my gt2 has developed a problem where the engine turns and runs fine but the heater fan won't blow, electric Windows won't work nor the wipers or dipped beams. I used to just give the key a little wiggle while running which usually solved it but that has stopped working. Funny thing is though the fan will come on and Windows will work when I hold the high beam switch in. Anyone have any ideas what may be the problem? Electrics aren't my strongest point!

1992 pearl green 1.8 GT2 daily
1983 Mars red 1.8 GTI project
BlackGTX

Re: Electrics won't turn on with ignition

Post by BlackGTX »

Could just be earths or fuses but also if the loom has been hacked about in the past that can cause funny connections

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Dodgy ignition switch most likely.

crimmer96

Post by crimmer96 »

Definitely somethings been hacked about in the past! Door keys don't match ignition barrel either.

What would you guys recommend?

Bigmills74

Post by Bigmills74 »

If it was playing up and rectifying itself once you wiggled the key then as Mr Brown says probably a dodgy ignition switch, its not that hard to access it to have a look once you take cowling around the steering column. Looking at your pic someones already had a go at fixing some of the wiring with spade crimps so you might find the original multiplug that slots into the ignition switch has been hacked off and replaced with similar and have came loose. If the ignition switch is faulty you should be able to get a replacement quite cheap from the likes of ecp or gsf

crimmer96

Post by crimmer96 »

Here's a few pics underneath the steering column (I'm useless when it comes to electrics)

One thing I did forget to mention is that the Windows, dipped beams, heater fan, wipers ect all work but only with the headlight switch on at the same time as the full beams engaged.

Bigmills74

Post by Bigmills74 »

In pic 1 you can see someone's repaired the wiring to your black ignition switch plug,squeeze the 2 tabs and slide/wiggle it off . Once it's off you can check the male contacts of the ignition switch which is still in the barrel and also on the female contacts inside the plug you just removed,if there's been a bad connection at this point you might find the female contacts on your plug have distorted , also might be worthwhile pulling out your headlight switch and checking the wiring and contacts on the back as well as these are known to fail on the scirocco.