temp gauge/sender

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
chrisdevon
fill in the right answer: 15

temp gauge/sender

Post by chrisdevon »

My temp never gets above 1/4 and even then only if stuck in traffic.
Normally it struggles even to get in to the white cold mark.
ive cleaned it out, no blockage and replaced sender but makes no difference.
Thermostat seems ok as well.
seems odd to me..

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: temp gauge/sender

Post by james butler »

take the wire off the sensor and touch it to the block. if the needle doesnt rise to the top of the gauge your wiring and clocks will be at fault if it does rise to the top then theres a good chsance the sender isnt working or is of the wrong type (there is more than one that will fit).

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
chrisdevon
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: temp gauge/sender

Post by chrisdevon »

thanks for that, shorted connecter with wire and yes needle rises to top. So issue I think is wrong sender, pretty sure I replaced like for like, as behaving exactly the same, however wrong type I guess.

Is there a way of making sure I get the correct one?
mine has 5-1210 on barrel one side and 105 on the other.

My engine came out of a golf apparently, but I am assuming it would be same sender!?