Undead rev counter

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MK21800
fill in the right answer: 10

Undead rev counter

Post by MK21800 »

Hiya,

My rev counter keeps dying for a while (just flopping back to zero) and then completely coming back to life working for a while. It really seems to want to work, and when it does, works fine. Then dies for a bit.

My research has shown so far the old earth lead between the rocker cover and coil which I need to check and am I also right in thinking the rev counter is connected to the coil seperately, to fire it? So perhaps it might be worth me cleaning all coil connections. Anything else?

It doesn't strike me as a bust dial to be honest, it works fine when it does work, just seems to be getting on/off connections.

Edit - sorry forgot to mention, I've checked the plug thing underneath it, it's in place ok.

Nate

Re: Undead rev counter

Post by Nate »

That earth strap is a likely candidate, or the tacho connection to the coil being corroded or loose

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

Nice one nate, cheers. I'll have a look at those and report back.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Sometimes the spade connector on the wire going to the coil (or any other wire and spade connector) opens up a little and does not make a good connection, justs needs a little sqeeze with some pliers to close up the gap, don't squash it to much or you wont be able to push it back on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

Well I actually took the coil off earlier and gave all connections a clean (there was a lot of blue oxidaisation all over everything) as well as cleaning the earth strap, but swing and a miss, I'm afraid. Thing's still dead. But hey, some stuff is shinier than it was, which is always nice. I like shiny.

I'll try squeezing the spade connector a bit next time. I haven't seen a flutter from the rev counter for a while now. Reckon it's had a silver bullet.