1.8t wiring before & after loom conversion

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
connorj19
fill in the right answer: 15

1.8t wiring before & after loom conversion

Post by connorj19 »

Please move if not in correct section,

I'm currently undertaking the popular 1.8t engine conversion in my mk2 Rocco. Only to hit a brick wall on the wiring side of things. I'm mechanically skilled but lack the knowledge to hack into my harness. Don't help that Gateshead college didn't teach us much.. Plug it in & clear the codes, if it's wiring send it to the electricians :-o
Anyways enough waffling. I'm sending my ECU to vagtronics in Stoke on Trent to be decoded, also there also gunna make it plug n play into the Rocco fuse box with a Tacho adapted so the clocks work.

Pics before I send it Image

Won't be dropping it off till the 25th of June, as I'm passing that way. Don't want to post ECU in case it gets damaged in transit. Then go get it a week later and fit to the Rocco. I'll post pics up after.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1.8t wiring before & after loom conversion

Post by james butler »

qpeng do a plug and play loom don't they?
supposed to be really good

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
bengould

Post by bengould »

They do a plug and play loom for their ecu but not a standard ecu as far as I know. Also, what they sell for £850 I'll be getting for £400 by using standard management. And you get to keep all vagcom fault and logging capabilities.

I'm also getting a 3" downpipe for considerably less than they do a 2.5" for.

Ben.

james butler

Post by james butler »

bengould wrote:They do a plug and play loom for their ecu but not a standard ecu as far as I know. Also, what they sell for £850 I'll be getting for £400 by using standard management. And you get to keep all vagcom fault and logging capabilities.

Ben.
wow :shock:
i didnt realise they were so expensive
keep us informed how you get on ben as im interested in this conversion

bengould

Post by bengould »

I have a scirocco loom already converted, for sale at the moment. I need it done for my Corrado.
If your thinking of doing it and get an AGU engine before my loom sells it will save you a lot in the long run, all you'll then need is your immobiliser defeated and the tacho converter.

I would also be willing to do a deal for your uncut AGU loom.

Ben.

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Dropped my ( AUM ) loom n ECU off at vagtronics in Stoke on Saturday, didn't catch the lads name but he's pretty well educated on what's needed to be done, decode ecu first then harness getting Secondary air pump delete, ac delete and power steering plug deleted. Should come back ready with only a few connections to be made to the fusebox for it to run, also Tacho converter box so rev counter & temp guage work.

Was originally going to go down qpeng route but I bought the engine with the loom & ecu so I though save a lump and go OEM management route and keep the change for more car parts. Really getting exited but still need major parts like clutch n flywheel & mounts... Scary how much money goes into these things

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

So the guy from vagtronics phoned on Friday saying loom is ready to collect, after only 2 weeks of dropping it off. I've had some plugs removed, secondary air pump deleted etc. He's made me another little harness for throttle pedal as it was chopped at the plug ( using AUM ) fair to say exited isn't the word. Long way to go as still need clutch, mounts. Etc

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

I forgot to post on the loom, picked up and went through various things on vagcom like showing fuel pump relay operation etc. Very well finished off in terms of only 3 wires to be connected to igniton switch and loom eylet to earth and another earth for diagnostic plug, and fuel pump wire to connect. Its all fused properly and comes with fitting instructions. Overall im happy with the service from vagtronics in stoke, id use him for future conversions. Ill get some pics up for anybody whos interested

james butler

Post by james butler »

im interested, i really like this conversion and have been giving it a lot of thought.
its still a way off at the mo as moneys tight on other projects but maybe one day!
i have to ask what is this decoding thing you talk about and what does it do/enable you to do?

bengould

Post by bengould »

Decoding the ecu is basically just removing the immobiliser.
Means you can start the car without the key, transponder and dash from the newer car.

Ben

james butler

Post by james butler »

ah right. so its not essential then, you could just tape the key to the transponder?
thats what im doing with the abf lump in crusty so if i remove the key its in effect a manufacture fitted imobiliser.

bengould

Post by bengould »

Not exactly, it is also tied in to the dash cluster so you'd have to replace yours with the newer car's too.

The abf is just a transponder and coil. The newer cars the ecu, dash and key are all coded together. It won't run without all 3 and has to be all 3 from the same car.

For what is involved vs the cost of removing the immo, it's well worth just getting it done.

Ben.

james butler

Post by james butler »

blimey! that makes sense i suppose as it stops average joe chopping and changing parts without the dealers technical approval.
do you have any schematics of what goes where in the wiring looms?
in the long run i would probably go the same route and get someone else to do the wiring but for now im just curious.

bengould

Post by bengould »

Vauxhall used to (and may still) also tie in the radio too so you couldn't swap out a head unit without it getting coded to the ecu. It wouldn't stop the car running but was more of a deterrent to thieves, if the head unit won't work in another car it isn't worth stealing. Also guarantees you go back to them instead of the scrap yards when the head unit fails.

I don't have any information about looms but if you are a clubgti member, lookup Rubjohnny. He is a regular poster there and his forum signature contains a link to a lot of ecu wiring information. He also has a loom conversion guide on the forum. Well worth a read through.

Its not actually that difficult if you are methodical and take your time to mark all the wires. I just figured I'd go for the simple option and have a guaranteed working loom rather than probably miss one step and nothing work.

Ben.

gt11rocco

Post by gt11rocco »

See once get you loom back I may have a few questions for u if that's ok