Another gauge question

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
frankerooney
fill in the right answer: 15

Another gauge question

Post by frankerooney »

I've had a look but can't find the answer to my question, sorry if it's been posted before.
1.8 DX scala, late model, looking to fit gauges I nabbed from an '84 audi years back. So basically i have the audi specific oil temp sender, which I will add via a tee to the existing MFA temp sender, fine, but I also have the filter housing (rather than head) based oil switch / pressure twin pole sensor for the 5 bar gauge and 1.8 bar pressure built in alarm. Thing is the dual sensor won't fit in the same place as the existing switch at the back of the filter housing as it's fouled by the allen bolt head being much fatter.
Can I swap the temperature sensor and pressure switch locations, i.e. can I run the temp sensor at the back and the dual pole sensor switch/pressure gauge at the front? I believe they are both 10mm/1mm pitch thread but am not sure of the internals of the filter housing whether it will give me issues with pressure and/or temperature detection after swapping.
Thanks

Andy.

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Another gauge question

Post by Nate »

I *think* you can. Also seem to recall someone fitting a little 45 degree elbow thing to tilt the senders clear

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
frankerooney
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Another gauge question

Post by frankerooney »

Cheers, guess that would work but would have to angle away from the dizzie i guess. Can always try and shift stuff when i have the oil temp at say 80 on the mfa an swap the original sensors. Think the pressure switch is normally grounded until opened by pressure?
Thanks again