Speedo clocks - Broken PCB!!

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
christhemann
fill in the right answer: 10

Speedo clocks - Broken PCB!!

Post by christhemann »

Repairing my speedo clocks is getting to be like a can of worms...ARRR
I've had to fix them several times, just trying to find a decent set that work!
Got to replace the odometer gears as mine stopped working, so got a donor set.

While I'm at it, thought i'd check why the green led (indicator blinker) doesn't work on mine.
Tested the PCB track to the LED with multimeter, and it appears to be a broken connection in one of the tracks!
Can't for the life of me find where though, PCB looks ok overall.

Is there any way to repair these ? Or does anyone have a really good PCB for a Scala Carb speedo....
Getting kind of desperate!

Thanks.
Chris

1989 Helios Blue Scala
bluestreak56

Re: Speedo clocks - Broken PCB!!

Post by bluestreak56 »

christhemann wrote:Repairing my speedo clocks is getting to be like a can of worms...ARRR

While I'm at it, thought i'd check why the green led (indicator blinker) doesn't work on mine.
Tested the PCB track to the LED with multimeter, and it appears to be a broken connection in one of the tracks!

Is there any way to repair these ? Or does anyone have a really good PCB for a Scala Carb speedo....

Thanks.
Chris
There was a company that fixed them but they went bust.

I believe it can be done although how difficult is another question - Pete may know - I'd suggest replacing the PCB or the clocks altogether .. I have about 4 sets myself from fixing bits.

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

bluestreak56 wrote:
christhemann wrote:Repairing my speedo clocks is getting to be like a can of worms...ARRR

Thanks.
Chris
There was a company that fixed them but they went bust.

I believe it can be done although how difficult is another question - Pete may know - I'd suggest replacing the PCB or the clocks altogether .. I have about 4 sets myself from fixing bits.
Chris - do you have the diagram showing you the test points on the PCB? If not pm me your email address and when I get a moment I will scan something in for you.

Are you sure that the LED itself is working and has not given up? I haven't had the indicator LED fail yet but the main beam indicator one seems to be prone to failure.

I haven't fixed a flexible PCB, but Tempest has. It can be fiddly and care is needed with the soldering iron. Alternatively you may find that VW still does new ones. You will need the VW part number/s off the clocks - 533 ... or maybe 191 ... or both, in order for VW to locate the right one. There is no VW part number written or stuck on the actual PCB itself.

Rohan, if I say 'Sender' to you .......

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

PeteGLi wrote:
Rohan, if I say 'Sender' to you .......
I know I know! Im very very sorry but Im going to bring it along with an extra something to make up for it at the Volksfest if thats ok?

christhemann

Post by christhemann »

Cheers for that.

Pete - Testing diagram would be handy thanks. I've traced the track to the indicator led, the LED itself does work also as I've checked it seperately.
The track to the LED works only intermittently if I press on a certain part of the track!

Getting pretty desperate as I've got the clocks apart and out of the car. (its my only car so need to get them in soon!)

1989 Helios Blue Scala
Nate

Post by Nate »

can you just solder a wire on to replace the broken track? scrape the insulation off, the dab a spot of flux on, and it should be fine. did it on my bro's R21 when i stuck a screwdriver through the pcb

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3