Alternator upgrade

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Mr Funk

Alternator upgrade

Post by Mr Funk »

Can anyone suggest the best way to upgrade the alternator?
May run two amps in the car and don't want it constantly drainign the power. Would a power cap help at all?

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Ryan
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Alternator upgrade

Post by Ryan »

As in improving the one you've got or fitting a beefier one?

I think you can swap the standard for a 65 (golf?) or 90 (passat?) - direct fit.

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Beefier one I expect.
I'll be running two amps and a few other gubbins and don't want the bastard thing dying. Should probably invest in a decent battery as well.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
MrD

Post by MrD »

I also need to upgrade mine,i have a 400w fusion amp and a 300w (prob more like 80w rms cheapy) amp ,and when i have it banging out the volt gauge sits below 11 volts,needle flicks down with the bass.
As far as i am aware a power cap won`t help with the battery,when you look at the spec on the amp it says so many watts rms at 12 volts then more watts rms at 14.4 volts.
What a cap does is store up power so the system runs constantly at 14.4 v so better rms outputs :nerner: Which i assume will drain the battery even more.
As far as i am aware ? somebody correct me if i am far from the mark.
Can`t really use my stereo that much,as it just drains the battery,quite like the sound of the engine though,so not all bad :hugegrin:

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
millsy20

Post by millsy20 »

You could run the system with a capacitor which would mean that you wouldnt need to change your alternator. I think they are similar prices to alternators.http://www.sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/ ... =11&p=7977

Quick link for prices.

1991 Red Scirocco GT2-Soon to be GT2 16v
2010 MK3 Scirocco GT TDi 140 for daily duties