Headlight loom upgrade

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
AndyGreaves

Headlight loom upgrade

Post by AndyGreaves »

Did this today really simple job - and i hate anything electronic and with wires.

Tools required:
wire crimping/cutting tool
few cable ties
bit of insulation tape

Heres a quick guide on how to do it, with pics
The numbers arent there as a step-by-step guide, there just there to show you whats happening.

1 & 2
Connecting the live and negative wires to the battery - DO THIS LAST! - its the safest way.

3 & 4
This is on the Drivers side.
Cut the yellow wire and join the end that goes into the bulb to the wire off the upgrade harness (3) - this is the longest wire off the harness
Tape up the other end of the wire (4)

5, 6 & 7 (N/S)

Un-plug the white connection block (5)

Take the yellow/black wire and cut it, with a reasonable length each side

Join the yellow/black wire going to the bulb with the longer of the 2 remaining wires (this wire is in the same connection on the relay as the wire already attached to the bulb on the O/S, wire marked, 3! (6)

Take the other end of the yellow/black wire and join it to the remaining wire on the up-grade harness. (7)

Do steps 1 & 2
Cable tie the relay somewhere safe - i did mine just the the right of the radiator, under the slam panel.

And your done!

Hope this helps!

This is just a quick and simple guide - check the instructions that come with your harness to make sure there not different.

My instructions told me to just a volt meter to check which wires carried the live feed, in my case it was the yellow/black(N/S) and yellow (O/S) wire.
I imagine this will be the same for all Scirocco's but please check!

bluestreak56
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Headlight loom upgrade

Post by bluestreak56 »

Great guide Andy - I may get round to doing this one day :blush:

AndyGreaves

Re: Headlight loom upgrade

Post by AndyGreaves »

Before

After (with upgraded bulbs)