New Heater Blower Fitting

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
teenspirit7
fill in the right answer: 15

New Heater Blower Fitting

Post by teenspirit7 »

Hi,

I've come a bit stuck trying to replace my heater blower.

I'm planning to take it out via the bonnet (rain tray). To remove the front wiper motor do I need to first remove the wiper arms? I've removed the nuts but it won't budge.

I've been trying to follow eefy's guide but just can't remove the motor.

Images to jog your memories
https://imgur.com/a/l3DZH

Thanks for reading.

eefy
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: New Heater Blower Fitting

Post by eefy »

yeah you'll need to wiper arms, once the bolts off it should pull off, the wiper arm is connected with a spline joint, this might just be bumped up and may need some persuasion. Some light tapping with a hammer may help. Once there off the whole wiper motor needs to be removed, the raintray on the passenger side is widened to allow this.

the heater motor then needs to be split in two, its a bit fiddle to get it our in 2 parts but it will some out again on the passenger side.

Goodluck

Heath

teenspirit7

Post by teenspirit7 »

Thanks for the help. Managed to get it fixed! Now I'll actually be able to see out of the windscreen.

eefy

Post by eefy »

Glad its all sorted :)

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Glad you fixed it..................................

It may help to put a tiny amount of copper grease on the spline before refitting the wiper arms; not too much but enough to help make it easier to remove next time. The splines get furred up over a long period of time and can be difficult to remove unless you have a set a arm pullers.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
rosie

Post by rosie »

I've also been following eefy's guide today and have got as far as taking out the old motor (god knows how I'm going to get the new one back in - plenty of swearing so far!)

My new motor is apparently the right one, but the wiring is different. As per the photo
IMG_1816small.jpg
The original motor has a pair of yellow wires on one connector and a brown wire on the other.

The new motor, on the right in the second photo, has a plug with two prongs - one attached to a red wire and the other to a brown wire. (sorry the picture doesn't show the wires very well)
IMG_1817small.jpg
Presumably I attach my yellow spade connector to one of the prongs and the brown connector to the other but please can someone tell me which way round they go?

Thanks so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Brown is VW's colour code for earth (negative) and red for live (positive). Yellow here would be the switched live, which would be full battery voltage at maximum fan speed or a fraction of battery voltage at lower fan speeds. So brown to brown, yellow to red should do it.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
rosie

Post by rosie »

Awesome. Thanks for the help.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

Resurrecting - My heater blower is on it's last legs and will need replacing in the spring. eefy's guide link seems to go to a dead end now. Does anyone have a new link or instructions as to how to remove / replace the blower?

Also, it seems a common part for Mk1 golf, T2.5, and other VW of the 80s / 90s - any gotchas in buying from AutoDoc or other non-OEM manufactuers?

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
james butler

Post by james butler »

the easiest way is to remove the wiper mechanism as its in the way when trying to remove the blower motor complete
to remove the wiper arms, remove plastic nut covers at the base of the arms and undo the 10/13mm nuts
give the arms a little wiggle and they should come free from the spindles
next remove the massive nuts that hold the wiper arm spindles to the scuttle
next remove the rain tray under the bonnet to get access to the wiper motor mech and blower
remove the remaining 10mm screws from the wiper mech holding it in place in the scuttle
now you can unplug the wiper motor mech and remove completely from the car
to remove blower motor remove the single screw at the front and unplug motor
the motor should now pull free

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

as for a new motor i would get one from mark carter of classic vw
https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/heater-blo ... 4773-p.asp

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

When you have the wiper arms off the spindles give them a good clean with a wire brush so they are nice and clean when re fitting the wiper arms.
Also a good time to re-grease the wiper mechanism.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323