Warning - Damaged Positive Battery Cable

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Warning - Damaged Positive Battery Cable

Post by blakey »

Thought I'd share this experience:

I replaced my radiator at the weekend - the battery positive cable to the starter motor and fan wiring were cable tied to the cooling fan housing, once I'd removed the radiator and fan assembly I noticed that the insulation was worn through down to the copper on the battery cable, please see the photo below (apologies for the poor quality)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p26jihurFZnGZFYS8

Suffice to say, if it had gone unnoticed it could have resulted in me finding the smouldering remains of my Scirocco one day.

Most of the Scirocco's & Golf's I've owned have the wiring secured in this way, definitely worth checking yours!

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
mark1gls

Re: Warning - Damaged Positive Battery Cable

Post by mark1gls »

Good advice. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

good spot!
to be honset cable is so cheap nowadays it should be replaced as a matter of course every 20 years to protect against insulation breakdown.
i have replaced all mine recently but need to do the datsuns.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I’ve also read the replacing the earth lead with a Mk3 golf style cable is a good idea as VW added a extra bit of cable from the gearbox mount to the gearbox housing bolt attached to the engine block, I guess you could just add an extra bit of earth cable from the gearbox mount to the gearbox bolt and still achieve the same affect...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323