New alternator not working . scirocco gt11

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
njl1968
fill in the right answer: 15

New alternator not working . scirocco gt11

Post by njl1968 »

Hi,
Just fitted a recon Bosch alternator 65amp from euro car parts . Started up no charge light on , thought good it’s working then checked voltage 12.5 and going down, so not working. Charge light now not working on ignition start up, it did with the old alternator. I have measured the voltage +pillar to the the battery and it’s the same as at the battery terminals. I then disconnected the +Pilar and measured accross to the alternator casing 0.85v :-( . Am I missing something or do I have a dud alternator? Does the blue wire and charge light indicate a different issue?

Thanks njl1968

unknownmale

Re: New alternator not working . scirocco gt11

Post by unknownmale »

Have you checked voltage from Positive on the battery to the casing (checking the alternated has a good ground through the block. Assuming both wires are attached to the back of the alternator?

- David
njl1968

Post by njl1968 »

Yep tested that voltage is the same as if I tested accross the battery near enough. Ground on the alternator is good , checked the voltage from the positive post to the negative and the B+terminal same as above. Also checked the blue wire continuity to a harness point at battery that’s fine. I am curious about the battery charge light not coming on , how is this controlled? I tried grounding the blue connector and Athens light does not come on. Anymore ideas welcome otherwise I willl take it back in the morning to exchange for another one.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

check the connection somewhere near the battery positive terminal the blue wire has a join in the wire there.
you should have battery voltage there when the ignition is on
could be a loose connection or broken wire

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
njl1968

Post by njl1968 »

Ok checked I have volts on blue wire, also dismounted new alternator remounted old one red light comes with ignition. I thought new alternator must be faulty took it back just slotted in new one light does not come on , what the hell is going on is new one wrong part ? If it where the wrong amperage would this be the problem?

Cheers neil

njl1968

Post by njl1968 »

All fixed thanks for the responses, my problem, new alternator has a differnt connection ring rather than spade on the d post that the blue wire connects attaches to, there was another connector spade end connector which was an additional b+ post that I connected to , hence not it did not work. That’s the problem with with working in the dark in the evening🙄.

Cheers neil