no power to any fogs

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Yolandi2
fill in the right answer: 15

no power to any fogs

Post by Yolandi2 »

recently tinted my front fog lights and they worked fine for a few hours but now I cant turn any of them on (front or back) also I get no little yellow light on the side of the switch either

, ive checked the switch and its good, I tried bypassing the switch with a bit of wire and can confirm that the switch it receiving 12v when I turn the headlights on,

ive checked fuse 6 (15A) and its fine because I had an issue with it blowing due to a short inside the foglight housing itself,

ive also checked the very bottom left relay for clicking and it does ( I also swapped it for another relay and that also clicks)
for whatever reason I'm just not getting 12v actually at either fog light housing connections front or back,
kinda stumped now,

anyone have a suggestion?

1990 mk2 GT2
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: no power to any fogs

Post by james butler »

check the connection under the expansion tank.
2 wires come out of the bulkhead and go into a connector plug under the expansion tank where it splits into 4 wires going either side of the car.
its a white chunky plug from memory and a bit of a wotsit to get apart but thats what i would check if it has 12v

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

Has 12v, sprayed it with contact cleaner but still nothing, will do more multimetering weather permitting

1990 mk2 GT2
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

Yolandi2 wrote:can confirm that the switch it receiving 12v when I turn the headlights on

so you've got power getting to the switch, but did you check that it is then leaving the switch when you switch it on? if both front and rear have both stopped working, then the switch must be the most likely contender, as past this point i can't think of anything that would effect both front and rear fog lights.

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

The relay would affect both front and rear too since it provides power to the switch.

Try removing the white/yellow wire from the switch - this is the power TO the front fogs - and applying 12v.
If the lights work then it's switch or relay. If they don't it's connectors or bulbs.

Also, Fuse 6 is only for the front fogs. The rear fogs have a separate fuse on the top of the fusebox with grey/white wires coming out either side.

Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

ive checked the switch with the continuity setting on the meter and apparently its good :?
ive also tried jumping the connections on the switch plug with some wire, no dice :/

i seem to also have no power at the fogs fuse when the switch is off and 12v when the switch is on

1990 mk2 GT2
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Yolandi2 wrote:ive checked the switch with the continuity setting on the meter and apparently its good :?
ive also tried jumping the connections on the switch plug with some wire, no dice :/

i seem to also have no power at the fogs fuse when the switch is off and 12v when the switch is on
That’s sounds a little strange... I may be and probably am wrong but surely the fuse should be before the switch lol

My only suggestion would be what your doing work from battery back. I’d suggest checking voltage rather than continuity though just because it gives you an idea if you have a short and loosing voltage somewhere.

Jack
South East

www.motorsportdiscounts.co.uk
Seat Leon 1.8T 20V - Track Car
VW Scirocco Scala 1.8 Inj - Toy
Ford Transit 2.0 - Work Horse

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Always test a loaded circuit, just because you have continuity it doesnt mean the circuit can carry a load. Easiest way to do this is with a test light (Super cheap and very useful tool)

- David