1984 Scirocco hazards and fog lights

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Samuel772
fill in the right answer: 15

1984 Scirocco hazards and fog lights

Post by Samuel772 »

Hi all, bought a 1984 Scirocco GTi a couple of months ago and the hazards and fog lights don’t work. Both my indicators work.

I’ve changed all fuses and the relay for the hazards but still no luck.

Any ideas of where to look next?

Sam

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1984 Scirocco hazards and fog lights

Post by mark1gls »

I would look at the switch for the hazards, possibly fit another switch?

Fog light, the switch has 2 setting, 1st click is front fog lights (if you have them but not many cars ever did) 2nd click is rear fog light and the headlights have to be on main beam for the fog light to work. May be something simple as switch not in the right position?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Samuel772

Post by Samuel772 »

Thanks I’ll have a look. Also I forgot to mention, when I turn the hazard switch on, a solid light appears on the dash which should flash. It does have front fog lights but neither front or rear work under any circumstance.

Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Might be worth trying to see if someone has played with the wiring, a lot of them seem to have a separate relay put in the bonnet or somewhere feeding the lights straight from the battery just having the switch trigger them. If this relay has gone it might be your issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk