wiper motor modification

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
type53b
fill in the right answer: 10

wiper motor modification

Post by type53b »

Does anyone know if I can swap/ bodge in a mk4 golf wiper motor into my single wiper 81 mk2 scirocco without to much heartache?? I have 2 mk4 wiper motors here, a 99 one with no wiring plug and a 01 one (still attached to donor car) complete with wiring. Any advice?

remember, if it's got tit's or tyre's, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble.
james butler

Re: wiper motor modification

Post by james butler »

i seem to recall you can fit the motors form other models as there only bolted onto the framework with 3 bolts.
ive no idea whether a mk4 motor will fit but try it and see and let us all know how you get on.
dont forget the plug for the wiring is probably much newer on the mk4 motor so you might need to change the plug on the loom too.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
type53b

Post by type53b »

OK James thanks for the reply, I have looked this mod up on the tinernernet and they are all on about mk2/ mk3 wiper motors .now I could probably go and get one of those from eBay or less likely a scrapyard, but fate has actually smiled upon and me gifted me 2 wiper motors so I will get tinkering and report back. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

remember, if it's got tit's or tyre's, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble.
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by unknownmale »

I have a single wiper motor if you need. I believe the part number puts it on a mk2 golf.
d972619ef5fcf1443785410bdab60b1372d09044.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- David
type53b

Post by type53b »

Thanks for the offer,mate but I am gonna have a crack at the mk4 motor and see how I get on! Many thanks anyway!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I managed to fit a later golf wiper motor to my Mk1 Scirocco with single wiper. To get the motor to fit I did have to re drill the 3 fixing holes for the motor so it would would sit right, I used the later loom and fitted some spade connectors on the ends of wire and plugged them into my old wiper motor socket, the colours did match the wires on the later loom so it was straight forward.

I’m not 100% sure which car my wiper motor came from but I did get the loom from a Mk4 golf in the scrap yard as that had the same plug.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
type53b

Post by type53b »

mark1gls wrote:I managed to fit a later golf wiper motor to my Mk1 Scirocco with single wiper. To get the motor to fit I did have to re drill the 3 fixing holes for the motor so it would would sit right, I used the later loom and fitted some spade connectors on the ends of wire and plugged them into my old wiper motor socket, the colours did match the wires on the later loom so it was straight forward.

I’m not 100% sure which car my wiper motor came from but I did get the loom from a Mk4 golf in the scrap yard as that had the same plug.
mark did you re drill the holes on the linkage bracket?? Or are you talking about removing the backing plate off the mk1 motor with the red and green wiring attached and bolting/pop riveting the mk1 backplate onto the mk4 motor? Many thanks mate !

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I had to re drill the holes on the black linkage bracket as the motor was slightly different and the motor did not sit where the original motor was, I had to turn the motor about 25 degrees, this was on my Mk1 Scirocco so your old motor may look the same as the new one?

Edit...
Found an old thread from the Mk1 golf forum (I’m Mark1gls on there as well) post about 1/2 way down and they managed to get all the pictures from photobucket on the ther website. :-)

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... please-mk3

Membership No. 323
type53b

Post by type53b »

Mark, thanks for the link,this makes it more clearer . I wished to make this car 100%stock as a daily driver but I realise that driving a 35yr old classic in today's traffic is a bit dodgy. Too this end I have done the upgraded headlight mod and I have also modded in a rear 3rd high level LED brake light from another more modern car, which looks completely stock/OEM, purely because the scirocco sits so low on the road I was worried the clowns driving behind wouldn't see my brake lights! The next mod is fitting rear seatbelts from an 86 scirocco that I got off a guy that was breaking one,my one is an 81/82 one and didn't have rear belts fitted. But I want to get the wiper motor sorted first as the original motor is absolutely sh1te and the weather is just getting worse. Many thanks for your advice !

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Noting wrong with using an old car as a daily, properly less things to go wrong compared to a modern car with all these electronics and sensors every where! I use my 1988 Mk1 Golf cabriolet as a daily, 50 mile commute every day and it’s never let me down in 20 years of owning it. Regular service and keep on top of those little jobs which pop up every now and then.

I fitted 3 point seat belts to my 1978 Scricco and the holes in the C pillar and underneath the seats was all in there factory, you can just about feel where the C pillar fixing is through the headliner, check and double check before making a small hole in the headliner to find the welded in nut then cut the hole a bit bigger it fit the top fixing mount for the seat belt. If you look and the web you might find some pictures of where the seat belts are fixed in later car so you have some sort of idea where to feel/look.

Membership No. 323
type53b

Post by type53b »

Okey dokey mark, I shall have a crack at this mod and report back. Thanks for the advice!

type53b

Post by type53b »

Well lads, I got this sorted and it works a treat! Unbelievably the 98-99 golf mk4 bosch wiper motor is a straight forward swap ,it sits at the same angle as the original SWP motor , the 3 mounting bolts line up perfectly without any modding or drilling and to top it all off, the electrical connection is identical ! It just plugs straight in and works perfect. Sweet!!! The only thing I had to swap was the crank to linkage gizmo from the original motor to the mk 4 motor cos my one is a single wiper. It certainly has more power. Well chuffed. The other 01 mk4 motor looks liked will fit no problem but the wiring connection is different and crucially only has 4 wires where as the original scirocco plug has 5. So I just went with the 98-99 one. I gave all the linkages a clean and regreaseing while I had it out of the car. And I took the spindle gizmo apart and greased it , a pain in the ar$e, truth be told but well worth the effort cos there was bugger all grease in it and some rust corrosion on the shaft. So now my shaft is clean and well greased! Which always helps. My missus will be pleased. Any way the part number for the mk4 wiper motor is 1j2955113a. I think it was also fitted to Audi a3/a4 and seat Toledo/leons of the same era. Hope this helps.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good to hear you fixed it and it was fairly straight forward, it does make a difference having a newer wiper motor as I found mine goes a lot faster than before and it needs to when you only have 1 wiper on a Mk1! :-D

Membership No. 323
type53b

Post by type53b »

It was doddle to fit, mark. Literally just bolt in, plug and play. Thanks for the advice!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Glad to be some sort of help, always here if you need anything else. :good:

Membership No. 323