Car headlight adjustment

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Lukeh17
fill in the right answer: 15

Car headlight adjustment

Post by Lukeh17 »

Last year I moved to Germany and in it's MOT the headlights were adjusted to meet their requirements. I'm now back in UK and today she failed her MOT because the headlights 'aim beam image kick up to the offside and nearside.' However they can't seem to find how to adjust them back.

Any ideas?

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Car headlight adjustment

Post by Nate »

You can't adjust them for lhd/rhd you can only adjust them for aim. To change which side the "kick up" is you'll need to swap the headlights. Or put those driving abroad beam converters on them. Should get it through the test

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hi Nate,

I wasn't told in Germany that the headlights would have been swapped over. Therefore where would I get the headlights from?

Does you have any ideas?

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

There is usually a couple of screws, 1 does up and down, the other left and right.
1 screw seems to be near the top of the indicator and the other screw on the bottom edge of the spot light, you can just about see the screws in the picture towards the bottom of the page. You need a thin cross head screw driver.

I’m surprised the garage did not know this?? Most older lights are adjusted this way......

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/131 ... cco-mk2-8v

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hi Mark,

I showed them these but they were saying that these screws only did the aim. Could someone post a pic of their headlights because there is an image on mine which may mean mine have been switched over without me knowing? If you post a pic, I can then compare.

Cheers