Rear wiper not working

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
ScalaSam
fill in the right answer: 15

Rear wiper not working

Post by ScalaSam »

Hi,

Realised recently that the rear wiper is not working. It is sitting horizontally across the bottom of the rear screen. When the stalk is pushed away for the rear washer spray, is the wiper supposed to come on as well?

If so, how do you turn it on or what could be stopping it?

Plus is it the number 19 relay and does that also do the front wipers?

Apologies for all the questions, could not find another thread on here with the answer.

Cheers,
Sam.

1990 Scala Injection
No others yet...
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rear wiper not working

Post by james butler »

i think its no 2 relay that is for the rear wiper, when you push the stalk forwards listen out for it clicking.
if you cannot hear it then yo need to do a little digging into the electrical system i.E check the fuses, if its not that then check the stalks as they commonly burn the contacts and cleaning them up fixes them.
if not any of the above check the earth thats bolted to the rear slam panel right behind where the rear number-plate is.
if not that then you've probably got a break in the wire where the wires go through form the body into the boot lid.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
marcus
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rear wiper not working

Post by marcus »

I found on mine that it was simply a case of the nut holding the wiper arm to the motor spindle not being tight enough, tightened it and it worked fine.

1985 GTL 1.8

Member number 928 (wish I had one)