non start help

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
type53b
fill in the right answer: 10

non start help

Post by type53b »

OK folks I am in trouble.driving up my road today car was running grand and in a split second car just died!? Pushed it back to the driveway and started tinkering with it. So far ,it is pumping petrol up to the Webber carb so I think I can rule out a fuel issue. I have tested the hall sender with a test light, as per the Haynes manual instructions an it is working . I can't check the DIS or the TCI cos my digital multi meter decided to kick the bucket. I am getting a lend of a meter tommorow, so I will test these 2 things then. But I noticed that when I pull the coil wire out of the dizzy and earth it off the block I get a nice big fat blue spark, but when I do the same with a sparkplug cable it is a small weak orange /yellow spark. Surely this is wrong. Can anyone advise me??? By the way car is 81 mk2 gt 1.6 carb engine and still won't start! Thanks

remember, if it's got tit's or tyre's, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble.
type53b

Re: non start help

Post by type53b »

I got this problem fixed. Turned out the ignition switch was kaput. I changed it and she is back running.

remember, if it's got tit's or tyre's, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble.
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good to hear it's fixed and updating post.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Jerry Atric
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Jerry Atric »

Well done on posting up the solution....too many people ask for help but never actually say how the problem was resolved. It is always useful for others when they experience similar issues.