Clutch cable locknut

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MK21800
fill in the right answer: 10

Clutch cable locknut

Post by MK21800 »

Hi,

I've just replaced the clutch cable with a spare that I had with the car. The cable is the correct length, it's on the car and everything's fine apart from the fact that the lock nut is wound right down so it sits on the adjuster at the bottom, rather then up the top against the black cylinder and it appears the thread is faulty right at the bottom so I can't engage the nut on to the thread to do the nut up to the correct place to lock the cable in to the correct adjustment. Seems the thread is faulty right at the bottom.

Took it out for a test drive, everything seems fine, if the lock nut isn't done up will this cause issues like the clutch going out of adjustment?

mark1gls

Re: Clutch cable locknut

Post by mark1gls »

Should not make much difference, if the 10mm free play at the pedal changes you could just pop the bonnet and re-adjust it, guess it’s just try it and see what happens...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
MK21800

Re: Clutch cable locknut

Post by MK21800 »

Cheers mate, I figured as much, just checking. Many thanks.