Brake Pedal Box

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
theboysmiffy

Brake Pedal Box

Post by theboysmiffy »

Hi all. I am thinking of installing a pedal box so I will have two master cylinders and do away with the original setup and linkage bar. The system I am looking at adds the box to an existing steering column which is an exchange item. Has anyone ever remove their steering column, is it a dash out job? This is a Mk1 Rocco.

unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Brake Pedal Box

Post by unknownmale »

theboysmiffy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:17 pm Hi all. I am thinking of installing a pedal box so I will have two master cylinders and do away with the original setup and linkage bar. The system I am looking at adds the box to an existing steering column which is an exchange item. Has anyone ever remove their steering column, is it a dash out job? This is a Mk1 Rocco.
I have one. If you're thinking about the CQ one it's not a direct fit. You'll need to play with an angle grinder for a bit.

Dash doesn't have to come out to get the column out.

You'll need to remove the sheer bolts from the top of the column which can sometime be difficult, but vise grips work, if not then drill them out, then the two bolts on the bulk head, take all the linkage and old booster out etc, loosen the steering UJ from the rack. It's not that bad a job.

- David
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

As alluded to above, the column type pedal boxes are designed for a mk1 Golf - which has a different bulkhead. These means some modification will be necessary. I bought a Vagabonds tuning one from ebay - pretty much the same as Crazy Quiffs (they're both copied from a much older Autocavan design) but ended up selling it on (to a mk1 Golf owner!).

The only company that ever made one designed for a mk1 Scirocco was HRP - I can't find contact details at the moment

theboysmiffy

Post by theboysmiffy »

Thank you both for your input. I always thought mk1 Golf and Rocco shared a bulkhead, well actually most things! It was actually the HRP column I was looking at so hopefully should fit without to much chopping!

hubbadubba

Post by hubbadubba »

Food for thought, this is my mk1 set up, wanted factory look with performance, bit of welding to bulkhead and column but not a massive deal, polo 6n servo,24mm master cylinder, wildwood four pot calipers, brakes are awesome !, have more info if needed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

hubbadubba wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:54 pm Food for thought, this is my mk1 set up, wanted factory look with performance, bit of welding to bulkhead and column but not a massive deal, polo 6n servo,24mm master cylinder, wildwood four pot calipers, brakes are awesome !, have more info if needed
Looks fantastic. What are you running for rear brakes? And is that does the bias valve provide enough reduction?

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

hubbadubba wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:54 pm Food for thought, this is my mk1 set up, wanted factory look with performance, bit of welding to bulkhead and column but not a massive deal, polo 6n servo,24mm master cylinder, wildwood four pot calipers, brakes are awesome !, have more info if needed
Looks fantastic. What are you running for rear brakes? And is that does the bias valve provide enough reduction?

hubbadubba

Post by hubbadubba »

mr.brown wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:12 pm
Cheers, running polo rear hubs with the sealed bearings along with the ally calipers, same as mk4 golf, yeah the bias seems to work well, haven’t had a problem with any locking of the back end on hard braking, got the bias valve set about halfway, the Wilwood bias set up instructions are pretty basic, they just advise to keep adjusting till the back brakes lock up then back it off a bit ;-)

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom »

well that looks pretty decent. might have to get the welder out!

essextom

Post by essextom »

oh and yes, more info would be great

hubbadubba

Post by hubbadubba »

essextom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:13 am
I’ll get some pictures together and post up a thread with some more detail on what I did :good:

essextom

Post by essextom »

hubbadubba wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:46 pm
essextom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:13 am
I’ll get some pictures together and post up a thread with some more detail on what I did :good:
cheers buddy