Heavy clutch pedal

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Heavy clutch pedal

Post by Brenjacques »

Hi all,

Slowly getting through the jobs with the GTS. I think this job is up next just for reliability as I really don't want to be stranded with no clutch any time soon.

The clutch pedal is very heavy when cold, feels like there is some resistance in it and it feels a bit sluggish. The clutch was replaced in 2014, only 2000 miles ago and the cable looks pretty new. The biting point feels fine but I can feel some vibration through the pedal when I'm on the bite, varying as I raise or lower the pedal.

Strange thing, if I switch off and let the car sit for a bit after driving the pedal lightens up and feels fine, just as it should feel. It goes heavy again once it has been allowed to to back cold though.

So what should I start looking for? It is likely to be sticky grease somewhere that is easing up as it gets warm or is it more likely to be a bigger problem? Such as clutch release bearing or even the clutch itself?

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Heavy clutch pedal

Post by GTXTRA »

Check the bulkhead where the cable passes through?

If no strengthening plate has been fitted this Might be an issue.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Get on that right away

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Bulkhead is a common problem as it's such a rubbish design by VW, make/buy a straightening plate ASAP.

You can lube the clutch cable to help, remove the cable, hold/pin it up in the air and with ti hanging down drip some 3 in 1 drip oil along the inner cable till it drips out of the bottom, have a pot to catch the oil as it will take some time before it works it way to the bottom.

Lots of places sell the oil...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Greases-Lubr ... B075VFNS6D

Check the clutch cable routing and make sure it's 90 degrees from the gearbox housing as if it's at an angle it will saw though the gearbox housing.

See here for my solution to keeping the Scirocco cable at 90 degrees.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... utch-cable

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Thanks for the tips, I'll get a look at the bulkhead and positioning of the clutch cable tonight and upload some photos. I think the bulkhead already has a strengthening plate fitted, it definitely has a thick plate where the clutch cable goes into the car that looks to be added on top of the bulkhead.

As for the cable, I'm pretty sure it is fitted well but I will double check, oiling it may be a thing to try as it has had very little use and perhaps has became a bit sticky from sitting. It's going into the garage to have the belts changed and a general tune and time on thursday so if I'm still at a loss then I'll see what their take is on it.

Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

I've managed to get some photos. One showing the bulkhead and the others showing the clutch cable. The cable looks okay at the gearbox end, no sawing through and it has a rubber sleeve between the cable and gearbox which looks intact too. I don't know if it is routed as it should be though, if this arrangement is likely to be causing it unless I am missing something obvious. I'll give it an oil and see if that improves things. Hopefully the images have uploaded, sorry if they may not be the best!

Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Not too sure if that worked, if you follow the link here it should let you scroll through them

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16500506 ... ed-public

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Looks at the right angle gearbox end but I don’t think your cable is not routed right at bulk head end, that bend needs to be 90 degrees anti-clockwise and yes there seems to be a strengthening plate made for it but the angle of the cable just looks wrong, remove the plastic cover above the pedals and check the cable is not rubbing on the bulk head or that home made strengthening plate.

You might need to remove the electrical cables and place the other side of the clutch cable, difficult to see in photo...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323