Click when stopping

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Gilb666
fill in the right answer: 10

Click when stopping

Post by Gilb666 »

Hi All

Whenever i come to a stop using the brakes i get a cluck / clunk kind of a sound. It's only one, and right as i come to a standstil.
Doesn't happen if i stop without using brakes (ie, slowing down going up a hill then putting the hand brake on).

It's gone through the MOT fine so i don't think it's anything dangerous but as i can't reproduce it without the car moving i'm struggling to work out what it could be.

Eagle1
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Click when stopping

Post by Eagle1 »

No idea but is it front or back and is it sided.? Have the front brakes been looked at recently? I would start by checking them. I'd look at the wheel bolts to make sure they torqued properly. Another one I found recently on my MK2 golf was loose CV joint bolts. Hope some of it helps and if it's of no use sorry.

Gilb666

Post by Gilb666 »

I think it's the front. Rear drums / shoes and wheel cylinders were replaced last year, and i'm pretty sure it was doing it before that.
It's done it with different wheels on, and before i replaced my suspension.
Cant notice if it's sided, but i can kind of feel it through the brake peddle.

I do have a 16v front brake setup to go on when i get around to it, but i was wondering if it could be something to do with the brake bar thingy or master cylinder etc

Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 »

Before I got to the bottom of what you'd written I'd suspect the brake bar. Would it happen at rest? If so get an assistant to push the peddle. Please Do Not try this whilst the vehicle is moving as you may fall off the vehicle plus your assistant will not be able to see you.

Gilb666

Post by Gilb666 »

I'll double check when i next drive it (probably not till next week now) but i'm 99% sure i have to be coming to a stop, not already stopped.
If i let off and press again while not moving nothing happens, but in stop-start traffic it clunks every time i stop.
I've not tried coming to a halt with the handbrake and then pressing the peddle when stopped, so i'll try that.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Try replicating by putting the vehicle on axle stands (at the front). Get a minion to start the car and ease into first on idle speed alone - that will get the wheels spinning at a not-too-scary-speed - and then brake. Might help the diagnosis.

farley381

Post by farley381 »

Sounds like the same as mine. I think it's play somewhere in the brake-bar cross linkage. Mine passed the MOT OK though.

1987 GTX (Flash Silver)
james butler

Post by james butler »

i had a similer noise if i braked and then accelerated it would clunk in either direction but only once.
turned out the three nuts and bolts that hold the ball joint onto the wishbone were loose.
not properly loose but loose enough to give an audible clunk when accelerating or braking.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!