rear disk conversion question about handbrake cables

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Yolandi2
fill in the right answer: 15

rear disk conversion question about handbrake cables

Post by Yolandi2 »

hi everyone, so I'm picking up some stub axles and disk assembly off a guy breaking a 5 door golf mk2 on the weekend and just wondering if somone can identify these calipers and could then tell me what handbrake cables i would need to work with them?

i know i know, "the rear brakes do hardly any braking / you need bias valves / etc / etc"
its mainly for cosmetic reasons

28721630_1619269691490713_2115909578_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1990 mk2 GT2
moser
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: rear disk conversion question about handbrake cables

Post by moser »

Dont recognise the caliper im afraid. The 16v roccos came with rear discs as standard i believe and its those cables that you need to look out for. When i did mine they were pretty hard to find so i opted for the slightly shorter golf one which only reach if you fit the calipers upside down on the opposite side to intended. The only issue with this is you need to take the caliper off to bleed them as the nipple is on the bottom.

I didn't fit any bias valves, just fitted G60 brakes up front to even out the breaking. Again I only really did it for asthetic reasons. with a very open spoked wheel, the drum just doesnt look right on these cars

91 Scirocco Scala - Too low for MOT ramps apparently
03 Seat Cordoba PD130 - Daily
52 Golf 1.6 - Mrs' shopping trolley
scirockirb

Post by scirockirb »

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Very cheap here: https://amzn.to/2G3q8Ux

- David
blakey

Post by blakey »

The caliper in the photo appears to be a Mk4 Golf caliper, they have a different hydraulic connection, I believe Mk2 Golf folks use brake hoses from a B5 Passat, but worth checking they'd fit on a Mk1 style axle.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Hi,

I traded mk3 used calipers into Gsf expecting mk3 calipers back.... But I ended up with mk2 calipers instead. They fitted ok and I bought the 16v scirocco handbrake cables which went in with no problems.

I seemed to remember the brake connecting rods on the bulkhead needed adjustment and the brake master cylinder was changed to a slightly bigger unit.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Had problems with Mk2 golf rear calipers on both Mk2 Golf Gti I’ve owned, they have a tendency to seize up and handbrake does not work very well.

I think most of the Mk1 golf boys fit mk3 or Mk4 calipers now?

Try searching Mk1 golf rear disk conversion and see what cables etc they use?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323