Unstable Acceleration

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
crimmer96
fill in the right answer: 15

Unstable Acceleration

Post by crimmer96 »

Hi all,

Due to my GT2's mot running out and being unable to pass due to its electrical problems. I've had to some what reassemble my GTI that I was midway through respraying in Autumn before it got too cold outdoors. Now this isn't the original topic, I'll get there lol. Many parts of the car were stripped to bare metal. I've put no topcoat on any of the car and I was wondering if a coat of primer on the bare metal parts will prevent or reduce rusting with these salty roads? Also will it be even harder to put a topcoat on if I do this?

Now im the original topic. I fitted an OMP lower front strut brace but ever since this if I accelerate, the steering wheel jeers to the left slightly then it feels as if you're on ice or blown about by heavy winds. It does this too when I let go of the throttle but it cruises fairly normally? Any one able to help?

Chris

1992 pearl green 1.8 GT2 daily
1983 Mars red 1.8 GTI project
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Unstable Acceleration

Post by mark1gls »

Have you double checked that every thing is tight on the running and steering gear?
Check camber angle and tracking.

Sorry can be much help on the paint.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

don't run the car with just primer as primer is designed to absorb the paint so is going to absorb water just as badly if you didn't paint it.
paint it with cheap rattle cans as you can always go over it again with the correct paint later.
agree with mark as it sounds like you haven't tightened the wish bone bolts enough and they are moving= not good!
get under there and really crank the wishbone bolts.
i don't remember the torque setting but i do remember it being a lot

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by unknownmale »

Yeah, don't leave it in primer for too long. A week in dry conditions is fine to allow it to shrink a bit, but if you leave it for any longer you'll just have to start again.

Is your camber even? Both bolts tight. I had a similar issue a few weeks back when I left out one of the eccentric washers off!

But in general, check everything is tight and even, suspension level, top mounts etc.

- David
blakey

Post by blakey »

The bolts also should be tightened when the weight is on the ground, at rest position. So can't be done when jacked up or on axle stands, needs to be done on ramps or over a pit.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455