brake update

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Mystery Mk2
fill in the right answer: 15

brake update

Post by Mystery Mk2 »

Ok Guy's I'm looking to improve / update the braking while refurbishing my Mk2, calliper's have been refurbished and new rear drum setup fitted but on reading various posts I'm thinking I should change servo and master cylinder to a newer type.
I read that people are using golf and Audi parts on their upgrades but I'm unsure what I should be looking for.
Has anyone a made a numptys guide to brake upgrades.
Servo and master cylinder: type, model, part number, and any other ancillaries or parts required
A step by step guide to the replacement.

Will just add that the car had been in storage for many moons then Ant made it shine again but then sadly it had to be stored for another 3 years, the project has restarted and is progressing as time and money allow, I'm now looking at the braking so your knowledge and expertise would be of great help.

Cheers Neil :help:

unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: brake update

Post by unknownmale »

You can go for the Audi brakes, bigger servo etc.

I'm sorting mine out this winter. I've gone for a set of wilwood calipers and discs for the front, Not running a servo, just a duel master cylinder bias pedal box. Later i'll consider upgrading the rear to discs, perhaps even a remote servo.

- David
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: brake update

Post by GTXTRA »

Simplest set up is a master cylinder, servo and bottle from a mk2 golf 16v.
I’ve run this set up on a ‘90 Scala happily for a while.
More about a little bit more pedal feel than massively upgraded performance.

More power? Scirocco 256mm16v hardware up front or g60 280mm set up.

Rear discs- cosmetic only tbh. IMHO.

Serial Rocco-ist.........