Rotational Noise from front end (I think?!)

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
haddock_n_chips
fill in the right answer: 15

Rotational Noise from front end (I think?!)

Post by haddock_n_chips »

So I was happily driving along today and got a rotational clicky type noise from the front end - really quite loud! (could hear it over the noise of rorty exhaust & subwoofer!)

Definitely rotational as it got faster & slower with speed

Initially came on when i changed gear and thought i felt a thunk/thrung through the clutch pedal

Also at one point it stopped when i depressed the clutch

But then it carried on again with clutch in/out

Pulled over to have a look around and couldn't see anything obvious

So I drove on to work and gave it a boot to see if it cleared and the noise stopped!

Great its gone.....

Got to work and jacked it up on either side and all wheels feel fine (Bearings)
no clicking noises on full lock (CV joints) - (Although i noticed the CV boot i put on a couple of months ago is leaking again...)
No signs of rubbing - The O/S disc & pad does feel like a small warp in the disk though (rubbing on one part of the disc when rotated)

Took it for another spin up the road and the clicking came back!! Then gradually faded away to just the noise of the slighty warped disc rubbing.

WTF is going on?

Wheel bearing? Inner CV joint going?! Any ideas?!

Will keep my eye on it tonight on the way home and see what happens....

Will have to order up some fresh discs & pads too...

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rotational Noise from front end (I think?!)

Post by essextom »

I had similar with a wheel bearing on a mk5 Jetta once. Weird ticking noise, took a while to find.

G-Dub

Post by G-Dub »

Had something similar a few years back. CV joint is most likely due to leaking boot as they can loose the lubricant and overheat. Possible that it is the wheel bearing but you will hear a droning sound rather than a clicking sound synonymous with a failing CV joint. Many years ago an Austrian VW mechanic advised me to squirt a little oil into the CV boots to keep the grease from drying out. I have never had a problem since adopting this method in the 28 years of my MK 2 ownership.

haddock_n_chips

Post by haddock_n_chips »

Well i've been driving the car for over a week as my daily was in the garage

The noise has not returned!

The only thing i did was bend the manifold heatshield away from the inner CV joint (And burnt my thumb in the process!)

SO it's possible it was that but unlikely!

I'll have to just keep seeing how it goes until something breaks!