Drove with the handbrake up for 30miles

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Delahaye92
fill in the right answer: 15

Drove with the handbrake up for 30miles

Post by Delahaye92 »

Guys bit of a dumb topic on my part.

I some how drove 30 odd miles with the handbrake up at 65mph until finally noticing, burnt the rear drums and the handbrake hardly works. What do you rekon will need replacing? The brakes inside the drum or the handbrake cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackGTX

Re: Drove with the handbrake up for 30miles

Post by BlackGTX »

No harm in refreshing the cables but shoes for a start, sand the inside of the dums if they are useable

haddock_n_chips

Post by haddock_n_chips »

Moved to appropriate forum :-)

Probably best to strip down and refresh, Drums might be ok with a clean up

Would replace shoes and adjust up and see what its like

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

New shoes and bleed through some new brake fluid as the old fluid may of boiled, for the cost of some new fluid it's worth doing.

Check the drums are not to scored as you may need some new drums.

Check the grease on the bearings as that may have melted so some new grease may be needed but you will be able to check this when you remove the drum?

The hand brake cable will probably be ok, the hand brake may not be working as you have worm out the brake shoes and the automatic adjuster don't work very well at the best of time.

You may need to loosen off the adjuster to get the drums off if badly scored, if you look in the bolt hole for the wheel nut you will see a spring and a wedge which you need to push up with a thin screw driver to loosen the brake shoes.

Google image of brake shoe adjuster to see what they look like.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

heritage do a complete rebuild kit for both sides for £72
https://www.vwheritage.com/171698700-re ... th-a-brake
they dont come with handbrake cable but i would have thought the cables should be ok.
your drums are probably very scored or even warped as they would have gotten pretty hot.
the liners on the shoes arent going to be pretty either and may even have the liner come away from the shoe.
yo might get away with leaving the wheel cylinders but then again while you have it apart it makes sense to change it all

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!