bell crank adjustment

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
type53b
fill in the right answer: 10

bell crank adjustment

Post by type53b »

Hi guy, back for some more advice. I was wondering if it is possible to adjust the bell crank gizmo, I think that's what it is called? You know the metal thing that goes from the brake pedal across the back of the engine bulkhead to the brake servo ?? Mine is making creaking noises when I break hard. I checked all of its fixing bolts/nuts on the bulkhead and they are all tight. No sign of cracking on the bulkhead either. So I just wonder if I can adjust out any play in the rod if possible. Thanks

remember, if it's got tit's or tyre's, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble.
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: bell crank adjustment

Post by unknownmale »

Tried some grease?

- David
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

There needs to a little play in the rod as if it's to tight you can cause the brakes to stay on and bind.
Try cleaning up the old grease and stick on some new grease.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
type53b

Post by type53b »

OK .I will grease the hell out of it and report back if that cures it . many thanks!

remember, if it's got tit's or tyre's, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble.