Replacement Gear Linkages Mk2 Injection

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
eefy
fill in the right answer: 10

Replacement Gear Linkages Mk2 Injection

Post by eefy »

So took the Rocco out and while I have no problem selecting all the gears it now sounds like a bag of spanners when you change between 1st and 2nd etc I assume the one or two of the bushes have failed so I'm looking at changing them all and the links so, how easy is it? I've rad about needing a tool that will hold the gearstick to get them aligned!!!! I'll also be doing this on the drive on ramps

Any advice, even get a mechanic to do it welcome :)

MRMENDER

Re: Replacement Gear Linkages Mk2 Injection

Post by MRMENDER »

The job of replacing the bushes/linkages is quite straight forward.
Not having my manual to hand. However the bit that requires correct procedure, is the final adjustment of the linkage rod. Must be the exact measurement as in the book. Otherwise your gears will not engage.
I'm free this weekend if you fancy a trip over :)

eefy

Post by eefy »

Hey Hywel, you know what if you wouldn't mind that would be great you can show me how to do it, we can have a catch up and I can get some pics of the latest edition to the fleet for a skyrocket write up ;)

I can only do Friday or Saturday as we're away on Sunday and Monday though so just let me know which suits you best mate, and thanks for the help :)

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Just change 1 thing at a time then you can't go wrong.
I would not change the gear stick ones unless they are worn as that is when you need to set up the alignment again, if you just change the main bushes ,clean up and re grease the rods fittings then no adjustment is needed.

More info here
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page ... 2%2F2%2F15

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323