Braking problems!

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hodg87
fill in the right answer: 15

Braking problems!

Post by hodg87 »

Having noticed when I apply the brakes there seems to very little application, I bled them to find no improvement. I then changed the shoes, drums and rear cylinders and bled some more, still no improvement. Front discs and pads are all new too.

When I put my foot on the brake pedal there's very little travel in it, unlike other cars theres no gradual application of the breaks its case of putting your foot on the pedal and there being nothing, nothing nothing, then slight application at the bottom when you have applied loads of pressure! The servo seems to be doing its job as the pedal hardens when pumped then drops once the engine is running. Now my suspicion lies with the the master cylinder, Im thinking to change it in case the seals are worn.

Has anyone else had the above problem or can suggest a fix? Thanks in advance

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Braking problems!

Post by mr.brown »

Take a look at the brake bar + linkage assembly to see if there's any slack. Also check the condition of the washers/springs etc.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

if its the origenal master cylinder then yes theres a good chance its knackered

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If your brake pads, disc, rear drums and rear shoes are brand new then yes the brakes will be rubbish, you should bed the pads and shoes in, no hard braking for 100 miles and gentle on the pedal.
They should improve over time and re adjust the rear shoes in the drums once settled in.

Try holding the brake pedal down hard when the engine is running and feel for the pedal slowly going towards the floor, if it does master cylinder is shot.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
bengould

Post by bengould »

Also, when you fitted the rear shoes did you adjust the adjuster wedge?
Commonly forgot/unknown about and makes a massive difference to the braking.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19544

Ben