Four button steering wheel sets off horn

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Red Rocco
fill in the right answer: 15

Four button steering wheel sets off horn

Post by Red Rocco »

Hi, I have a '91 GT2 with a 1985 four button steering wheel, when I bought the car i removed the steering wheel to look at why it scraped on the ignition cowling, underneath the wheel insulation tape had been put on the plate which the stalks attach to. I peeled the tape off and every time I turned the wheel the horn went off so i moved the horn button next to the ashtray. When asking on here how to resolve this someone said i need a spline adapter and posted a link. I've just gone to fit it and it's clearly too big (small spline to large) The car is already small spline and so is the steering wheel, so am I missing something? I had to shave the plastic down on the cowling to stop it rubbing. I think i need a spacer rather than an adapter if such a thing exists? Want to get this sorted now as i want to fit an oil gauge where the horn button currently is.

Mark H
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Four button steering wheel sets off horn

Post by Mark H »

You need to fit the plastic sleeve, had the same issue as you..

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296