Clutch and flywheel question

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Rocco2
fill in the right answer: 15

Clutch and flywheel question

Post by Rocco2 »

Hi guys,

I'm planning an engine swap.
To simplify things planning to keep the original 020 gearbox, it is attached to 1.8 8v JH. The new engine will be 1.8t AGU, from a Golf4.

Question is: what clutch and flywheel would be the best option for this conversion?

Thanks.

Rocco goes turbo
connorj19

Re: Clutch and flywheel question

Post by connorj19 »

Im on doing this conversion myself and I opted to go for the 02a, as many people will tell you the 020 won't handle the power for very long with more torque etc.. that's what I was told anyways.

Clutch wise if your keeping the 020, I'd say performance drive plate & pressure plate. With my 02a I've opted for lightend g60 flywheel with a vr6 clutch, gearbox is hydraulic operation so Ive converted that using off the shelf parts

Rocco2

Post by Rocco2 »

So clutch and flywheel meant for the 020 would be needed. Just a stronger clutch.

Rocco goes turbo
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

When I did my 2L conversion the advise was to get a Sachs clutch as they are stronger. Not had any issues. An na does deliver power very differently to a turbo though.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by bengould »

The 020 box will be fine with a standard AGU. Any mods at all and you start getting close to the levels of torque that will kill it.
The g60 flywheel won't fit in the 020 box. So for that you would need to upgrade.

I would just go for the newer box now, while you're already doing the work on the car, then when you map it for more power the box won't let you down.

Ben.

Rocco2

Post by Rocco2 »

Good to hear. Sachs it is then.

To make the received AGU new again, will need a bit of time and money.

New tranny and all with that would be the "next" project :D if first one blows.

The hydro clutch conversion seems a bit scary though.
And it seems to be quite difficult to get a 02a,j box here where I live...

Rocco goes turbo