Front ARB clamps

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Macc
fill in the right answer: 15

Front ARB clamps

Post by Macc »

Just a cautionary warning to anyone tempted to fit stainless outer clamps, mine was fitted with them, both snapped, shot up and tore thru both cv boots! Mark Carter over at classic vw sent two genuine vw ones to replace, much better as not being stainless, they have at least some "give"
(Boots finally fitted. front and rear arb bushes, clamps all now replaced with polys. Didnt realise the difference it made till i managed to cock its leg up round an island! Wahey!!)

1990 MK2 1.8 GTII Scirocco "Black Shuck"
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Front ARB clamps

Post by mark1gls »

Good to know, Glad I bought some original ones last year and did not go stainless.
Which poly bushes did you fit?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Macc wrote:Just a cautionary warning to anyone tempted to fit stainless outer clamps, mine was fitted with them, both snapped, shot up and tore thru both cv boots! Mark Carter over at classic vw sent two genuine vw ones to replace, much better as not being stainless, they have at least some "give"
(Boots finally fitted. front and rear arb bushes, clamps all now replaced with polys. Didnt realise the difference it made till i managed to cock its leg up round an island! Wahey!!)
I have previously been warned by an engineer friend of mine, that you should NEVER use stainless steel in stressed components, whether brackets or bolts.

james butler

Post by james butler »

PeteGLi wrote: I have previously been warned by an engineer friend of mine, that you should NEVER use stainless steel in stressed components, whether brackets or bolts.
quite right and another reason why im a little concerned certain manufacturers have started making coil over bodies out of stainless.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!