Std suspension Mk1

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
reynard55
fill in the right answer: 15

Std suspension Mk1

Post by reynard55 »

My Mk1 Storm sits on some unknown red springs, its lowered and does not ride particularly well.
There seems to be plenty of choice for Mk2 suspension and springs, but not much for Mk1. What is the difference between the two? are they the same?
If I get the standard replacement Bilstein B4 spec dampers, what springs will I need to get to remain fairly standard, I don't mind a small drop but I'm definitely not keen on a 40+ drop
Thanks
Russ

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Std suspension Mk1

Post by mark1gls »

You can also look for Mk1 golf stuff as it's the same.
I have just fitted this kit to my Mk1.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Loweri ... 35ecbca24b

The car has not dropped by 40mm, I got about 5mm at the back and 10mm at the front so not much change over the original height, ride is good and not to hard as I'm in my 40s and want a comfortable ride and I'm pleased with this kit.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I have been told the best combo if you don't want to go low, is standard springs with the adjustable Koni yellow dampers on their softest setting. If you want to go lower, you could combine with Eibach lowering springs.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
reynard55
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by reynard55 »

Good, the Mk1 Golf stuff is the same
I am surprised to hear the kit you linked to didn't drop as far as advertised, even better knowing it has a ride more suitable for someone of my age!
Thanks for the help
Russ

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I'll try and take a picture of the car over the weekend, the kit is a lot smoother ride and I am pleased with it, I originally had an Boge kit on the car, that was uprated but did not lower the car and that was lot bumper ride than the blisten/eibach kit now fitted.

Also worth fitting some new top mounts while the suspention is off the car.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323