steering rod tool query

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scrappy1382
fill in the right answer: 15

steering rod tool query

Post by scrappy1382 »

is there a way to tighten the steering rod nut to the shaft with standard tool ? ( the section that you screw into the exsisting steering rack )i know they are the 32mm spanner size. would a big set of mole grips be any good ? seem to be having a problem with keeping the nut tight

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: steering rod tool query

Post by james butler »

i locktited the nut in place then nipped it up with a large spanner.
this isnt something you want coming loose!

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

kewl stuff !!! yeah i know, but somethings not quite right so wanted ideas before checking so i could just 'crack on' with it

Scirocco Shane
james butler

Post by james butler »

dont forget to measure the distance from where the rack starts to the edge of your old tie rod so you can thread the new one onto the same position.
if you dont then your lock to lock steering will be effected.

scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

all done now, just to get it tracked ( again ) tomorrow, the guy i saw did say that there was a problem with 1 side when adjusting, turned out that 1 side wasnt tight enough...

Scirocco Shane
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Just in case someone has removed your steering wheel to get it straight after the tracking has been done badly before jack up the front and centralise the steering rack and make sure the steering wheel set so when they do your tracking your steering wheel should be straightish and you should have the same amount of turns from straight to full lock each way.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

mark1gls wrote:Just in case someone has removed your steering wheel to get it straight after the tracking has been done badly before jack up the front and centralise the steering rack and make sure the steering wheel set so when they do your tracking your steering wheel should be straightish and you should have the same amount of turns from straight to full lock each way.
you still have to make sure the tie rod to rack bit is in the correct position other wise you can potentially end up with on tie rod longer than the other giving different lock to lock amounts. adjusting it out of the tie rod end doesn't fix the problem and if you take the steering wheel off to correct it only makes it worse.
but i know what you mean.

scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

thanks chaps will keep this info in memory section of spunge ( brain ) when getting whole thing done tomorrow

Scirocco Shane
gnrsoul

Post by gnrsoul »

Just reading this post how would i go about finding out were the tie rod to rack is ment to be set as my car has diffrent lock to lock ???

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Depending on how much thread is on your track rod end to track rods and if both sides are adjustable you may be able to jack the car up and count centre to each side lock, remove the steering wheel and replace it straight in the centre. Take you car to get the tracking adjusted you will find the steering wheel will be crocked till the tracking is adjusted as they should straighten the steering wheel, hold it in place then adjust the tracking so the wheels are straight to the steering wheel.

If there is not enough thread on the track rods and track rod ends the Measurement etc is in the Haynes manual but you will need to remove the rubber boots the measure the length of the track rods.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
gnrsoul

Post by gnrsoul »

I have done all the above other than the measuring the threads on the rack and still not right i think this is the problem you wouldent know what it is as i dont have a manual???

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I replaced my rack a few months ago, I centred them as best I could, but just advised the garage that did the alignment that they would need to be centred first...Best off having someone with the right tools for this one IMO

- David
james butler

Post by james butler »

its in the manual on how to centre the rack, you use a rule to measure the equal lengths the fit the steering wheel on straight to give you a reference.
then when you fit the tie rods the tracking will be done with the steering wheel straight and therefore the rack will be central.

gnrsoul

Post by gnrsoul »

Do any of you have the measurments from the manual as i dont have one thanks

blakey

Post by blakey »

This is from the Haynes manual, I hope it's clear enough. There is also an illustration with dimensions for the rack position without the tie-rods fitted if you need it.Image

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455