Lowering... what else should I replace?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Lowering... what else should I replace?

Post by the edmundator »

I'm probably going to lower my mk.2.

I was thinking that I should probably replace a few of the normally-wearing components like the front strut top mounts. What else (if anything) would it be a good idea to renew while I've got everything apart?

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Lowering... what else should I replace?

Post by markh »

Front end, pretty much just down to the strut top mounts like you say Ed. Obviously have a good look for signs of oil leaks from the strut inserts, and general wear and tear on the ball joints , track rod ends etc. On the rear, check the top rubber bushes, and its highly likely that the bolts in the bottom of the shocks will be seized solid in the bush at the bottom of the shocks(unless theyve been taken out recently), this can be a real nightmare, and you will end up needing new bolts and maybe even new shocks. Again check for oil leaks on the shocks themselves.

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Cheers mark, I'll be doing shocks and springs so leaking shocks not a worry. I'll look forward to all the seized bolts...

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Bump stops might need replacing with shorter ones.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

while you are down there say one for me. But also inspect the wishbones and bushes. If the 'bones are bent or excessively rusty, or if the bushes are brittle and tough as old whatsists then replace them. And if you are remewing the 'bones and bushes, you may as well do the balljoint that the hub sits on.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire