Steering weirdness ? help any clues ?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MrD
fill in the right answer: 10

Steering weirdness ? help any clues ?

Post by MrD »

Couple of days ago i put my steering wheel on straight (had been on a slant since i had the car) did this by driving in a straight line,stopping taking it off and putting it back dead straight..all has been fine with it,drive in a straight line and it sits perfectly straight..Coming home from Cambridge today,tight left hand off a roundabout,and the car sort of bounced ,since then the steering wheel has been on a slant again ? does not pull to the left or anything,feels fine still drove along doing an f1 style tyre warm up,all feels ok..
What on earth has happened,wheel is on right and tightned up,so it`s not a prob with that,could it be due to my exessive camber it`s putting a strain on steering rack or something,just want to drive the car for a few hundred miles without having probs Sad ..
Also found another oil leak Sad it`s coming from the pres sender in the head,leaking oil where the spade terminal is ! i only changed it the other day as the last one was leaking from here too ! must be down to having decent oil pressure ?
anyone else had this,or know what i can do,will try another sender,if that fails i will put a bolt in it !

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
GTXTRA

Re: Steering weirdness ? help any clues ?

Post by GTXTRA »

clip a kerb or a pot hole?
can be enough to throw your tracking out if hit on the front or knock tyre pressure on rear sufficient to make the steering wheel seem out of centre. You are quite an enthusiastic driver based on previous posts Mr :music: D?
;)

Serial Rocco-ist.........
MrD

Post by MrD »

Not clipped kerb or pot hole,it`s a mystery ,had a look today and as it`s lowered it`s more or less resting on the bump stops on the front,not good.
Will be investing in some decent front shocks,may be coilovers.
And yes i have been driving it like it`s stolen,sure this will wear off a bit after i have got some miles under my belt got 35 miles out of a tenner,so also cant afford to drive it like that....Think haveing the camber set a 3 deg and not .9 is also a prob,accelerates like a ficker,but hit a bump in the corner and it just does not feel safe,took it on a 2 mile run to the garage today,and it feels weird,or might just be me being paranoid about the steering suddenly veering off to one side,did notice one of the wishbones is not all the way into the rubber bush one the side that is the prob,need to get it checked out .Thanks for the input

Just found thease,better get saving,no point in going for an abf engine if the car can`t handle the power from the dx

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/ ... ct=3916969

or thease anyone have the weiec`s ,do they compare to the Koni`s

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/ ... ct=3878164

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
MrD

Post by MrD »

Flipping car is still acting weird ! coming onto the a14 off hemingford slip road,long sweeping left hander doing 45 -50 ish got near apex of corner and it just went all weird,crab like is the only way i can put it in words.
Got to my destination and drove round in circles in both directions,no noises or knocking noises felt fine ?

If i have put the cage in wrong,would it have this effect ? my rad fan started catching on the shroud the other day,and looking at the front panel it looks like it`s flexed a bit,also noticed my sunroof is bulging at the front .
Then on the way back home the short gear selector shaft fell off,and i heard it hit the bottom of the car ,so the car is imobile again now.

When will it end,i just seem to be constantly having probs,would love to get hrough just one week without getting covered in oil ! :dash: ..
Could it be my top mounts ?

Saving for some coilovers now,as no point getting suspension set if i am going to need it all doing again...

Can anyone reccomend any decent coilover shocks ,not bargain basement ,can`t afford konis unless i just got the 2 fronts,as back end feels ok ???

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

How long has the car sat on the front suspension? When I first re-commissioned the 16v the car had sat for about 6-7 years - the front springs had deformed and the front shocks were shot. Handling was very spooky, long bends in particular.
AP coilovers recently fitted to the GTL. Pretty happy with them, they are height adjustable with a fixed setting re stiffness. In a London environment they are acceptable and at £325 plus delivery from Venom a pretty good price. Not as comfortable as the much pricier Weitec TX as per Scala but well worth considering.
Get them on and then take to a decent alignment centre I'd suggest.

here's the GTL with them fitted.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
MrD

Post by MrD »

I bought them 2nd hand off here last year,more or less the last thing that was fitted before the mot.think that may be why they were sold on :crying: ..
Will deffo look into those then ,cheers Gtxtra
Like i said comfort is bottom on the list as it`s just a toy really,well i woulld be if i could use it

They are made by ta technix,look like e bay cheapies,but bought on a budget as just needed to get it rolling for the mot,had bought gas uprated ones for the back,but when i got to fitting the goodridge hoses on the front,i saw the ones on it were a complete crumbling mess,so had to get something cheap and quickly,buy cheap but twice,have learnt that lesson...