replacing rear wheel bearings

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Jimwise68
fill in the right answer: 10

replacing rear wheel bearings

Post by Jimwise68 »

Im going to change the rear wheel bearings on my 90 GT (EX code).

Anyone else done this? Looking to get a rough idea on timings and ease of changing them. Is it possible in one evening?

Any tips would be most gratefully received.

thanks

Jim

1966 Mustang Convertible
1989 MKII Scirocco GT
2002 Range Rover Vogue
2009 Audi A5 Sportline
MacColl

Re: replacing rear wheel bearings

Post by MacColl »

Check this out, gives you a good understanding of how it can be done..There are other guides if you check our search engine and other forums.
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php ... sc&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even though it's rear disks here it looks the same principle..
http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't comment on how easy as I have never done it fully myself. My mate did it before pretty easy for him in an evening as someone experienced. I'm going to be doing this to a spare rear beam like in the links.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I used Haynes as a guide the first time I did it and managed it fine. You need to make sure you've got some suitable tools for knocking the bearings in and out of the drums - I use a set of blunt chisels and a hammer, which works ok. Make sure you get the complete kits and use plenty of fresh grease. You also need something to clean all the old grease away with - I just use a lot of kitchen towel.

If you've never done it before it might take you longer (I think I had the luxury of spreading it over a couple of days' sessions the first time) but the last time I did it I think it took me about an hour. And I like to take my time, utter profanities and drink tea.

If you can afford the time, it's probably worth giving your rear brakes a once-over while you've got the drum off - but if they're fine or have been recently renewed leave them alone as all those springs can be fiddly without the right tools (the spring hook from Draper is well worth it if you ever want to take your brake shoes off).

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
DT1

Post by DT1 »

Make sure that you definitely have everything before you start.

They are relatively easy to do as long as you follow the instructions.

Don't be tempted to tighten the thrust washer up completely.

Nate

Post by Nate »

from memory, haynes explains it quite well. you won't find a rear bearing that is easier to do than the rocco! once you know what you're doing, you can do both sides in well under an hour. a set of punches needed for knocking out the old bearings (blunt chisels or old screwdriver will work) and a decent sized club hammer. large sockets can be useful for knocking the new ones in. just make sure it goes in straight.

observe correct tightening of the hubnut. again, haynes explains well

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3