GTII Brake Calipers...

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Rocchead

GTII Brake Calipers...

Post by Rocchead »

Hello...

I've got a 92 Jreg GTII 1800 8V
SHe failed the MOT due to being laid up for a few years so the brake pipes all needed changing, then the brakes overhauled, new discs and pads... thought the calipers were ok but looks like they need changing too darn it.
I've tried checking that they can slide ok by greasing the pins with copper grease, but the wheels are tough to turn, and it all smells a bit like its heating up too much on test runs.
Can anyone suggest any remedy or is it just best to replace the calipers???

So far GSF seem to be the cheapest for the parts... does anyone know if I can get them cheaper than £45 + vat + £10 surcharge (£55+Vat)..

It feels good to ressurect the beast... but costs are rising fast...
Help :help:

Boumsong
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: GTII Brake Calipers...

Post by Boumsong »

Tried finding a decent rebuild kit, get them apart and refurbed and rebuilt yourself. It's not bad task to do, you just need a few hours and some space.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
AdamG

Re: GTII Brake Calipers...

Post by AdamG »

Refurb kits are about £7 each from VW, they consist of two rubber seals.

You can remove the piston from your old caliper using a foot pump attached to a spare (large style) bleed nipple.
Be careful of pumping to hard though as the piston tends to pop out and spray brake fluid everywhere (eye protection and an old towel wrapped round the caliper is best)
Soak the new rubber seals in brake fluid for a while.
It's self explanatry how everything goes back together, if there is any serious scoring down the surfaces of the piston, you'll be better off with new calipers as the scoring will cause leaks.
A caliper wind back tool is very useful for refitting the piston into the caliper.