Mk2 rear brake problems.

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
James109
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 rear brake problems.

Post by James109 »

Hi, not been a member on here for all that long. Been meaning to post more but I’ve been working flat out on my latest scirocco. The problem I’m having is I can’t seem to get the rear brakes to bite well enough to get an MOT. I’ve replaced the wheel cylinders on both sides and new rear flexis. I’ve had the proportioning valves and blown through them to remove any crud that has built up. This has improved things but with a mate standing on the pedal I can still just about get the wheel to rotate which doesn’t seem right? If anyone has any ideas I’d be really grateful, it’s driving me insane! Thanks in advance!

MRMENDER
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk2 rear brake problems.

Post by MRMENDER »

Have you renewed the shoes?
Any contamination will make a big difference. Drums and shoes should only be cleaned with brake cleaner

James109

Post by James109 »

The shoes are like new, no contamination at all. The cylinders were only changed because the bleed nipples sheared off. The handbrake works extremely well so surely the friction surfaces must be okay? That’s my thinking anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 »

We're they as bad before the MoT. When I got my car I wasn't sure of its history so changed everything and I've not had a problem with it. New shoes aren't that expensive. Is it even wear across the drum or are there score marks/grooves. If there are I'd change them. You could take a drum off and get your mate to gently press the pedal but don't pop the wheel cylinder to see how much the shoes are moving.

James109

Post by James109 »

All sorted! Turns out I had the wrong wheel cylinders. I mistakenly bought ones for cars without the pressure regulator. Feel like a bit of a prat for not spotting it but passed the test this afternoon! Thanks for taking time to reply!

james butler

Post by james butler »

easy mistake to make i did the same and wondered for a god while why my brakes were so poor

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
James109

Post by James109 »

It drove me mad, it’s always the last bit that trips you up!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Glad you found the problem, it can be a minefield buying parts for old cars and parts which span many models of VWs.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
James109

Post by James109 »

Too true, it can be hard work tracing the exact part you need at times. All worth it though, I’m glad to be back owning one! I’ll post a few pics up in the main forum soon!