Steering on Mk2

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Steering on Mk2

Post by Brenjacques » Fri May 22, 2020 11:30 am

Hi all,

Recently had a bit of a wallowy feeling in the steering on my Mk2, driving it I occasionally feel it wants to go left a little and sometimes over bumps it does the same. There are no knocks and bangs when driving but when the car is stationary there is a bit of a knock when turning the wheel from left to right, also quite a bit of left/right play on the steering when its stationary too.

Recently had new wishbones and ball joints fitted as they were worn but this hasn't cured it. Was thinking maybe track rod ends or rack bushings. Anyone got any suggestions on where to start looking?

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Steering on Mk2

Post by essextom » Fri May 22, 2020 2:02 pm

you can probably see any play in the rack from the engine bay if you get someone to turn left/ right whilst you look. id check that first

Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Brenjacques » Tue May 26, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks mate will try and take a look tonight and see what I can find.

DannyH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by DannyH » Tue May 26, 2020 1:31 pm

Tracking and Camber?

Danny