Steering on Mk2

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Steering on Mk2

Post by Brenjacques »

Hi all,

Recently had a bit of a wallowy feeling in the steering on my Mk2, driving it I occasionally feel it wants to go left a little and sometimes over bumps it does the same. There are no knocks and bangs when driving but when the car is stationary there is a bit of a knock when turning the wheel from left to right, also quite a bit of left/right play on the steering when its stationary too.

Recently had new wishbones and ball joints fitted as they were worn but this hasn't cured it. Was thinking maybe track rod ends or rack bushings. Anyone got any suggestions on where to start looking?

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Steering on Mk2

Post by essextom »

you can probably see any play in the rack from the engine bay if you get someone to turn left/ right whilst you look. id check that first

Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Thanks mate will try and take a look tonight and see what I can find.

DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Tracking and Camber?

Danny
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

I've finally managed to take a look at the rack, there isn't much play really from what I can see, I made a youtube vid of it here so you can see what it is like, there's some movement but not much really and the bushes, although they're old, don't look too bad from a distance.

https://youtu.be/DhDgQQXc0og

I don't know if you can hear in the video but there is a slight knock when turning the steering wheel. Steering wise it's still a little vague with some slight occasional drifting left and resistance against the steering wheel when driving. I had a full wheel alignment done in march, it hasn't improved it and from feel it seems like it's getting worse.

Wondering if the internal bushings in the rack are worn? Any more suggestions on what I can check?

essextom

Post by essextom »

there's a bit of play. wont hurt to change them over. if youve the money though vw-classic parts do a whole rack with almost all the bits for £140, id just replace it. wouldnt skimp on steering.also do just the rack for £85 https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/steering-r ... 5288-p.asp

RoccoJimbo

Post by RoccoJimbo »

Have you checked if your front tyres are wearing unevenly? As has previously been mentioned your camber & tracking.
These should have been done anyway, especially if any work has been done such as lower arms & ball joints because the steering geometry would have altered.
Best bet is to get it booked in for 4 wheel alignment.
A straight car is a safe car...

1990 Tornado Red Scala.
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

The front tyres look fine from what I can see, they don't look particularly worn and I can't see any uneven wear on them. It just seems like there is a lot of play actually in the steering, if I move the wheel when stationary it will do say about 1/8th or so of a turn each way with little to no resistance felt, just like it's not taking up the load of the road wheels until almost 1/4 turn. Bump steer is quite bad too, the driveway at work is quite bumpy and sometimes I get almost a quarter turn to the left when going over the bumps, speed bumps are similar and I can sometimes feel a pull and resistance coming from the left when going over bumps.

All the steering components are probably original so I'll just swap it all out, classic VW are out of the full kits so I'll probably just wait until they are stocked up again. It's not doing any long or high speed trips at the moment anyway

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

It sounds like there is something seriously wrong with the steering system if you have that much play. I'd be worried something may be about to fail completely giving you total loss of control. I'd definitely get a professional mechanic to have a look - a lot of garages will do a safety check for free.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

I'll get it booked in the garage, to be honest it's the next job on the to do list anyway and was looking to get it done this month. I don't have any worries of total loss of control, not at the moment anyway. Whilst there is play this isn't completely lost movement and even the 1/8th of lightness/play in the steering still gives movement in the road wheels, so there isn't total loss of movement at this point. I wonder whether it's experienced a lot of 'dry steering' in its life that has caused this part of the rack to wear down. I've also jacked it up and inspected and there is nothing actively coming loose or damaged, the main noticeable thing is some movement in the rack itself form the U clamps and bushes.

I think it is most likely down to the mounting bushes or the rack itself, probably both really. I've had similar problems on other cars that turned out to be rack bushings but I'll just change the lot due to its age. I'll update the thread with what the cause is in due course

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Ah, ok, that doesn't sound quite so bad then.

I have memory of driving 15 miles through London as a 17 year old with a broken steering gear on my parent's VW 1303S after the front wheel hit a tree after the handbrake ratchet slipped while I was parked on a hill. There was loads of play in the steering and if I cornered too quickly, the steering wheel would just spin with no action. A bit crazy for me to drive it in that condition, but it was the 1980s! I remember the new steering box cost a shade over £100, nearly £400 in today's money, as VW didn't offer an exchange option for RHD "Super" Beetles.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Yeah luckily it doesn't seem as bad as that haha! I've driven other cars in the past with much more questionable steering than my rocco, but I know this is only going to get worse as time goes on. It doesn't really brim me with confidence when driving down the B roads, which I have given up until it's sorted!

james butler

Post by james butler »

looks like your bushes have had it, i can see movement there that won't help

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!