Clutch Cable Routing

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
si1856
fill in the right answer: 15

Clutch Cable Routing

Post by si1856 »

Hi all, my clutch cable is incorrectly routed and heavy so I’m replacing. The bulkhead has already been repaired and I’ve got the cable, rubber damper and fitting kit but I would appreciate any guidance or images of how it should be correctly routed on a mk2 1800 carb engine. Thanks Si

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Clutch Cable Routing

Post by mark1gls »

Sorry I can help with how it’s routed but once you check the new cable is the right one hang it up and pour some 3 in 1 drip oil down the cable and leave the cable hanging till the oil drips out the end, this will allow the cable to move freely in all conditions.

Make sure at the gearbox end the cable is going straight down into holder and not at an angle as the cable can rub on the gearbox casting.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

See my Project Rouge project thread and the for sale thread on the 1985 GTL .

Same engine bay set up, loads of pics on either thread.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
james butler

Post by james butler »

if you can try and straighten the kink in the outer cable as it comes out of the bulk head, the cable often binds there and quickly frays.
you don't need to straighten it completely you only need to reduce the bend by half (it really makes a difference!)

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

On most cars, the clutch and speedo cables are routed below the air intake for ease of access, as on Project Rouge. However, underbonnet photos in period car magazines show these cables routed above the air intake, like on my GT II here:

ImageImage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

James. How did you straighten the outer? Also is the bend not required to route the cable past the engine? Thanks.

james butler

Post by james butler »

it is required to go around the engine but not at the extreme angle they put in the outer cable.
i strightened mine by putting the outer in the vice with a couple off blocks off wood around it then slipped a pipe over the top to apply leverage.
i only reduced the bend from 30 or so degrees to 15-20 degrees just so its not kinked over so far and causing a problem.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Thanks. I will give it a try as car is due a clutch cable change. My clutch seems very heavy. (Even by scirocco standards) i have had 5 sciroccos and This is the heaviest clutch by far.