Clutch Cable Routing

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
si1856
fill in the right answer: 15

Clutch Cable Routing

Post by si1856 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi all, my clutch cable is incorrectly routed and heavy so I’m replacing. The bulkhead has already been repaired and I’ve got the cable, rubber damper and fitting kit but I would appreciate any guidance or images of how it should be correctly routed on a mk2 1800 carb engine. Thanks Si

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Clutch Cable Routing

Post by mark1gls » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Sorry I can help with how it’s routed but once you check the new cable is the right one hang it up and pour some 3 in 1 drip oil down the cable and leave the cable hanging till the oil drips out the end, this will allow the cable to move freely in all conditions.

Make sure at the gearbox end the cable is going straight down into holder and not at an angle as the cable can rub on the gearbox casting.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323