Suspension restoration

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Suspension restoration

Post by mark1gls »

Tracking may also be out as that will need to checking.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
WreckTangle
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by WreckTangle »

This is probably about the final update. I had a go at the camber angle tonight. First thing is to get the car on level ground. Finding level ground is quite hard. Fortunately, my garage floor is pretty close.

I used Mark’s 3rd method in the earlier post. So first thing was to take the readings on level ground.

It’s a bit hard to see the bubble, but my original attempt had resulted in about 5 deg negative camber on both sides. I used Mark’s method to adjust down to between 0 and 1 deg positive on each side. I think the car is now in a suitable state to take for a professional alignment. I took it for a short drive and the tyre squeal has gone and the tyres no longer get hot. The moral of this is if you don’t have alignment marks from the struts having been previously installed in the car go for somewhere near the middle of the camber range as your starting point. Not one extreme.

In conclusion, a shot of one of my refurbished front struts in place on the car.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. 🙂

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Good to hear you got it somewhere near, I found even marking the bolts before dismantling the strut does not always work as there is some play in the camber adjustment bolt before it starts to move the camber angle, a gauge etc is the best way.

I found it tricky to get a good reading when using the camber gauge on the hub nut in the centre of the wheel that is why I use a 14" spirit level and it sits on the outer lip of the wheel. I also found I had to go out for a drive then recheck the angle just be 100% sure it was spot on.

As you have taken it all apart and replaced lots it may be worth getting it all checked to see how close you where with the camber angle and if you are spot on you know it worked so next time you have to replace those strut top mounts (they don't seem to last as long now a days) you know how to set the angle up again.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323