caliper question- stainless brake bleed screws?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
chopperoli

caliper question- stainless brake bleed screws?

Post by chopperoli »

Has anyone used these? to stop them seizing etc. I believe they are M7x1, not sure on the length if it's highly important.

Also are the caliper slider bolts M8 or M10 ?

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: caliper question- stainless brake bleed screws?

Post by essextom »

Better off with mild steel ones, they are closer to aluminium alloy on the galvanic scale, therefore have less tendency to bimetallic corrosion.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Stick with the standard bolts and to stop them seizing smear a little copper grease on the threads.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark watson
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mark watson »

slider bolts m8 , early ones use 7mm allen key , later were 8mm allen key

chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

Tom, I'm pretty sure the front calipers are not aluminium? But maybe the rear slave cylinders are.
The slider bolt question was thread size not allen key size (I have both key sizes in the tool box!) because I know Mk1 Golf sliders were M10 solid shoulder bolts, whereas Mk2 Golf / Polo etc with the same calipers (VWII 239mm) have M8 caphead screws which clamp down on a separate slider sleeve. So I wasn't sure what Roccos would have. Maybe it depends on the year. Guess I'll find out the hard way :)

mark watson
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mark watson »

sorry you right chopperoli , early ones are a solid pin with m10 thread one side that use a 7mm allen key , later are sleeves that use a m8 cap screw - 6mm allen key , calipers are steel